Engine checklight (MIL) remains on... Is that usual?

arqumat

Hi guys,

Just bought a KTM RC 390 yesterday and I noticed that when I start the bike and ride it the engine check light (MIL) remains on in yellow color. Its not blinking or anything, just remains on. Is that usual? Doesn't it turn off?

Would really appreciate if anyone can help clarify this please.

Thanks all!

arqumat

Hi Cel,

Yup the bike is brand new. Only 100km on it. Apparently they were unable to identify the problem. The light comes on out of the blue and then goes off on its own. The dealership said that maybe coz its new and the engine is getting run in it might do that every now and again till 800-1000km. After the first oil change at 1000km, if the problem persists then bring it back and we will take another look. So I guess have to wait till 1000km

simpletty

Country flag
Any yellow check engine light means a the ecu has detected a fault with something, sensor, wiring, etc. It just doesn't come on for shits and giggles. Find a new dealer who has the proper answers. Was it the service dept you talked to that told you this? If so I would avoid taking your bike there at any cost. If it happens again, and if you can, don't shut off the bike go directly to the dealer and leave it run. There will be a code set, and no matter it should still be a memory code even if you shut it down, over a period of time if the fault does not come back the fault should be auto cleared from the memory, but don't quote me on that. But there definitely is something not right if the light comes on

Chris The Welder

The dealership said that maybe coz its new and the engine is getting run in it might do that every now and again till 800-1000km. After the first oil change at 1000km, if the problem persists then bring it back and we will take another look.

That's code for "we don't have a clue, and we have better things to do than help out a customer that just bought a new bike from us. Take a look at these nice accessories we just got in".