Higher Top Speed!!

Vongas

I’m gonna be needing to change my sprockets and chain very soon and i want to get a faster top speed. Is that making my gearing longer? And how do i do that? What set ups do people have?

isaac_

I’m gonna be needing to change my sprockets and chain very soon and i want to get a faster top speed. Is that making my gearing longer? And how do i do that? What set ups do people have?

What’s your application? Street ride? Road Racing? Drag racing?

Different strokes for different folks.

vulgr

Larger front sprocket or smaller rear sprocket. Depends how much extra speed you want. It will negatively affect your acceleration though

hvlmike

Country flag
The stock gearing is pretty good. Without more power (motor mods) you won't see much of an increase in top speed with a gearing change...in fact, you could make it worse cause with most little bikes.. there just isn't enough power to overcome the wind drag.

green_bread

Country flag
The stock gearing is pretty good. Without more power (motor mods) you won't see much of an increase in top speed with a gearing change...in fact, you could make it worse cause with most little bikes.. there just isn't enough power to overcome the wind drag.

^ This.

That being said, I have run a 16T front/45T rear on my race bike (Power Commander, air box lid removed, Yoshi exhaust) and hit about 115 (on the GPS.. I believe it was about 118 indicated) where the stock 15T front and 45T rear top out at 106 on the GPS and 111 indicated.

There's a neato calculator at Gearing Commander ?. You can select your bike and it gives you all the options you could want for gearing changes along with theoretical top speeds. You can really geek out with some of the charts and information on there. I wouldn't use the top speeds and acceleration rates as gospel, but it can give you an idea of what is possible.