Nitron NTR R1 Rear shock and Nissin 17mm radial master cylinder install

Navin

When i ordered the suspension i was a bit sceptical about compatibility as Nitron has listed only the duke 390/200/125 on their product info page. I tried messaging them about it on facebook and got this reply.

"I am afraid we haven't tested the compatibility between the two bikes so are unaware until we have the RC390 in our workshop.Sorry i couldn't be more help.Kind regardsAlex"

Dont know how hard it is for them to find an RC390 in UK to try and fix one. But anyway, i decided to buy one after enquiring at the KTM dealership about compatibility b/w the two. And also Ohlins list their KT301 and KT303 shocks as compatible for both RC and Duke. I was set on Nitron because the NTR R1 was the cheapest, most adjustable(for the price you get combined rebound and compression damping adjust, ride height adjustment and preload) and quality shock (internal floating piston design, alloy construction etc) i could find. Also it is a good 2kg lighter than the stock. Maybe more. Shipping was painfully slow and the responses to emails where equally slow. Paid around 400 pounds for the shock including tax and shipping. It reached me yesterday. Have to say that the quality is impressive. Now, i dont have any other shock other than the stock one to compare it with. But i am pretty sure that it will almost match the quality levels of some big brands. Installation was easy. Spring rate is 825lbs which is i guess really stiff. And i weigh around 150 pounds fully geared. They asked me about my weight, pillion weight and riding style to which i replied, and that is the spring they sent me! Initial impression is pretty good. a bit stiff for my taste right now but not as stiff as i imagined it would be. but i only rode around the block. Will do a proper ride once i fix the master cylinder too. Bought the master cylinder from webike japan. Fast shipping, reasonable shipping charges. Immediate response to emails too. It requires some modifications to the steering lock to avoid it touching the bodywork at full lock to the right. will try and fix it. If that fails, i will save it for my next bike. :pWP_20150923_06_58_30_Pro[1].jpgWP_20150923_07_28_18_Pro[1].jpgWP_20150923_07_28_40_Pro[1].jpgWP_20150923_07_33_23_Pro[1].jpgWP_20150923_08_08_17_Pro[1].jpg25082015318.jpg25082015322.jpg

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi Navin, looking good buddy! Would love a review of the shock and the master cylinder. How much did you pay for it? I was planning on getting a Brembo 17RCS myself, eventually... Lol

Navin

Hi Navin, looking good buddy! Would love a review of the shock and the master cylinder. How much did you pay for it? I was planning on getting a Brembo 17RCS myself, eventually... Lol

Hello Hans, The shock is pretty stiff for my weight. but only a problem during low speeds, say below a 100kmph. I reduced preload, but it only made it slightly better. havent touched the damping control yet. But i'm sure i will eventually find a setting which works for me. Need to ride more. :p The handling is now much better though. A rear suspension upgrade is a must have for RC! I fixed the Master cylinder too. I paid around 180$ for it including shipping. Like i mentioned earlier, i had to modify the steering lock. I Araldit-ed a piece of metal to the stopper to reduce the lock. The lever adjuster is set at its lowest. It still touch the bodywork. But just enough to engage the brake light switch but not the brakes. I have small hands, so not a big deal anyway. I could've used a thicker piece of metal, but didnt want to compromise the available steering as this is primarily a street bike. Had to slightly bend the brake line connector too. This master cylinder is identical to the one used on the ZX14R. Even the levers are a direct fit. So i was expecting that massive inital bite of the ZX. I even thought that this would be.....overkill. But surprisingly it wasnt. Superb modulation, very progressive. If you squeeze slightly hard, the rear end comes up. So plenty powerful too. But i would still suggest Brembo. Some Italian websites(caprimoto) sell it for as low as 257$. I only learned abt this site after i ordered and the part was shipped to me. So it was too late for me anyway. I have seen a few of the forum members use the brembo rcs, and didnt hear anyone complain abt interference with bodywork. So if it is a direct fit, i'd recommend Brembo. Nissins are just too much work. Aftermarket levers on the nissin might help to fix it without any modifications. But that is just more money.
WP_20150929_09_33_58_Pro.jpgWP_20150929_09_34_23_Pro.jpgWP_20150929_09_34_42_Pro[1].jpgWP_20150929_09_34_55_Pro[2].jpg

psych0hans

Country flag
Thanks for your reply bro, I'll definitely do that, once funds allow... lol I'm just confused between the OEM Brembo PS16 or the RCS17, as there is a significant price difference between the two.