RC390 at auction. what to check before bidding

Hi all Im new to this forum
Iv got a ktm 950sm which I love but am looking for a rc390 as well for some track day fun :)
After reading some threads on here concerning engine / headgasket problems Im now becoming a little wary.
The particular bike concerned has been classed as a repairable write off by the insurance company but from the photos all I can see is one mirror missing and some slight damage around the screen area but nothing out of line or twisted? 4500kms
This doesnt seem like enough to write it off so Im wondering if there is engine damage as well.
I can inspect on the day of the auction but starting the bike is not an option.
I will look for obvious signs of damage and wear and will take a strip of cardboard to dip into the oil filler hole to check oil for coolant (headgasket, water pump issues)
After that its a gamble

From existing owners with experience with this bike and its issues what other advise could you give me regarding outward signs and other checks I could make before making a bid.

Thanks in advance

Treachery

Country flag
Wow. Sure seems like a lot of variables that you can't address in checking the bike out. I suppose it's like any used vehicle, if the price is low enough, you can always part out what's not F'd up... Keep us posted.

unicorn_violence

there could be a chance that considering how cheap the bike is, that one small crash and scratch could deem the bike a write off from the insurance. definitely check the frame though for obvious signs of bending. since the RC has no sub frame, that could be a deal breaker.

mdabyo

Country flag
on the frame issue, if its going to be a race bike any bend or crack can be re-bent and re-welded given the type of frame, so i would not consider that an issue for a race bike

Thanks guys, I'll take on board your suggestions. Ill do a string line of the wheels and If Im not allowed to start it hopefully I can click it into 6th and see if I can bump it over on kill to see if it turns over. I''ll let you know how it goes

Well the auction treated me well today. Checked bike before bidding. Went down on left had side. Broken gear lever, mirror and minor scrapes on clutch lever, bar end weight, alternator cover, side stand. Decals on side and bottom fairing also scratched but no breaks. Oil was clean, That's it!!!!. Started first hit, no leaks or strange rattles. The bonus is the Tyga twin pipes, KTM ergo seat and KTM adjustable leavers. A real bonus would have been a PCV under the tank, but not to be. Bidding was frantic and gave me a huge rush especially when I ended up winning. Got it for a great great price! Im absolutely stoked. Bought oil and filter at the local KTM dealer and he knew the bike and history he even did the quote for the insurance. Said it was a solid bike! Gear lever and oil change is all I need to get it to the track for a ride day this weekend :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

CDN Duke

Country flag
Well the auction treated me well today. Checked bike before bidding. Went down on left had side. Broken gear lever, mirror and minor scrapes on clutch lever, bar end weight, alternator cover, side stand. Decals on side and bottom fairing also scratched but no breaks. Oil was clean, That's it!!!!. Started first hit, no leaks or strange rattles. The bonus is the Tyga twin pipes, KTM ergo seat and KTM adjustable leavers. A real bonus would have been a PCV under the tank, but not to be. Bidding was frantic and gave me a huge rush especially when I ended up winning. Got it for a great great price! Im absolutely stoked. Bought oil and filter at the local KTM dealer and he knew the bike and history he even did the quote for the insurance. Said it was a solid bike! Gear lever and oil change is all I need to get it to the track for a ride day this weekend :)

Well, of course we'd like to know how good a price you got exactly? ;) Were there additional auction fees etc?

Tyga exhaust is definite bonus, which version?

20170321_201356[1].jpg
I didnt mention the price as I didnt want to come across as gloating but seeing as you asked. Bidding started at $800 and quickly rose to $1400 then stopped........ I panicked as I was bidding online and wasnt 100% sure the highest bid was mine. Then notification came that I won!! I couldnt get down there fast enough to pay for it just in case they changed their mind
Total cost including fees and commissions $1745 :D;):rolleyes: Im over the moon as this is the first thing Ive ever bought at auction!

Koala

wow great deal i offered more for stock crashed one looked worse too and did not get it well played sir