*Sigh* Damaged output shaft splines at 5000 miles.

Slowpoke

It seems that the factory failed to install the sprocket correctly, although I will admit It's not something that I ever pulled to check as it wasn't rocking or noisy. I have gone to change my chain + sprockets and noticed the shaft splines are pretty badly chewed :(

Now I'm sure I could argue It's a warranty issue with my dealer, but this is the U.K and after sales service is pretty non existent, also, I don't think I'd trust them to do an engine rebuild TBH. So, as I have a spare low miles engine to fit as a temporary fix, the tools to do the job, and the workshop manual I'm contemplating replacing the mainshaft myself. Hey, it might be fun! I've rebuilt many a Honda 4T OHC engine in my time, It can't be much more difficult can it?

I'm just trying to figure out what steps can be omitted in regards to stripping down to the gearbox, Like do I need to fully disassemble the head or can it just be lifted with the timing chain still in place, stuff like that.

Any thoughts from the wise?

Cheers!

Treachery

Country flag
Well, I can't offer any advice as to the repair itself, but dang that's unfortunate. If you've not laid hands on the output shaft or sprockets, I would think that KTM would be liable for a warranty claim under the heading of faulty assembly. Dunno how that works over there, but good luck!

Slowpoke

Yeah I'm pretty p*ss*d right now. Chain tension has been perfectly maintained, sprocket plate retaining bolts have been torqued to spec whenever the chain guard was off but I never even considered taking the sprocket off to check the splines. I have decided to order the parts and undertake the work myself, should keep me busy for a weekend. I'm reading the repair manual right now! But yeah, If anyone has any insider tips, please feel free to share! ;)

Ill get some pictures of the splines uploaded also.