Y.S.S. Shocks?

psych0hans

Country flag
Does anyone have any experience dealing with these guys? They have a mono gas charged rear shock with remote reservoir for only $469 or $495 with ride height adjust +10mm. Here is a pic with description of the same. Pricelist | Shock Absorbers | Y.S.S. USA

X302R.jpg

X-302 TRC — Gas Mono Shock Absorber

Price: (TRC) $469.00 (TRCL) $495.00
Available Lengths: 240 mm, 250 mm, 260 mm, 270 mm, 280 mm, 290 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm
Type: Self Adjusting Gas Shock with Hose to Reservoir
Features: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks, Compression Adjustment 40 clicks— Eyelets and Springrates Model specific or customised — (Optional: Ride Height Adjuster (Length Adjuster +10 mm)
Application: RACING ON and OFFROAD — for MOTORBIKES up to 500 cc and SCOOTERS

X-366 TRC — Gas Mono Shock Absorber

Price: (TRC) $659.00 (TRCL) $689.00
Available Lengths: 240 mm, 250 mm, 260 mm, 270 mm, 280 mm, 290 mm, 300 mm, 310 mm, 320 mm, 330 mm, 340 mm, 350 mm, 360 mm, 370 mm, 380 mm, 390 mm or longer
Type: Self Adjusting Gas Shock with Hose to Reservoir
Features: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks, Compression Adjustment 40 Clicks — 36 mm 50 Micron Steel Bore and Radial Sinter Piston — 16 mm Hardened Shaft — Low Friction, Long Life Seal Block — Bearing and Bushes to suit each Model — Damping and Springrates Model specific — (Optional: Ride Height Adjuster (Length Adjuster +10 mm)
Application: RACING ON and OFFROAD — for SOLO, SIDECARS, QUADS, CARS, MOTOCROSS, STREET BIKES

RoninJames

i mean i see they have a 300mm length shock which is what our stock is. and you can get a 10mm height adjustable version.... will the bolt eyes fit as is or need spacers/shimms?

psych0hans

Country flag
I think they give you the attachments as per your ur need, so if you specify what you require that's what they will give you. They have mentioned that the eyelets and spring rates can be customised.

RoninJames

I think they give you the attachments as per your ur need, so if you specify what you require that's what they will give you. They have mentioned that the eyelets and spring rates can be customised.

yea i actually researched their site a bit more and when you order you can give them eyelet sizes etc. i am going to put a call in this week and get some more info.
$500 is a great price

CDN Duke

Country flag
Bumping this thread.

Figured out I can't run the R6 shock with the lowering link on my bike. Now looking for affordable shock upgrade.

Anyone running the YSS MZ506 300TR 38?

Looks like £290 shipped worldwide.

D

Deleted member 452

I spoke with YSS in Thailand and YSS here in the US and the YSS MZ506 300TR 38 has been discontinued. You can still buy the YSS MZ456 300TR 38 and I have about 300 miles on mine. It's 1.5 lbs lighter than stock and I was able to order mine for $375 USD with a black 120Nm spring from the guys below. The shock normally comes with a 100Nm spring which would be good for light riders but I weigh 200lbs wearing all my winter gear so I'm trying a 120Nm spring. Based on travel & sag measurements, I may swap to a 110Nm spring but it's still better than the OEM unit with the stiffer spring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-390-DUKE-2012-YSS-Mono-Shock-Absorber-/172576606435?hash=item282e5e08e3:g:6QgAAOSwRgJXhk3f&vxp=mtr

PS. I told them to change the description on FireFox's Ebay listing but it looks like they're still advertising spec.s for the MZ506 (50mm piston) shock instead of the MZ456 (45mm piston) that they're actually selling.

CDN Duke

Country flag
ah, thanks Brett, didn't realize this was the one you were working with... Impossible to search the forums with YSS as it has too few characters.

Yes, I think this vendor is the best price I've found and I'll purchase it direct off eBay.

Can you confirm spring dimensions? I'll look for other local spring options as well, probably trying out the stock one to start. On off chance you have shock off bike, I'd appreciate a photos of the top mount of the shock to gauge whether I will have issues with my lowering link...

D

Deleted member 452

ah, thanks Brett, didn't realize this was the one you were working with... Impossible to search the forums with YSS as it has too few characters.

Yes, I think this vendor is the best price I've found and I'll purchase it direct off eBay.

Can you confirm spring dimensions? I'll look for other local spring options as well, probably trying out the stock one to start. On off chance you have shock off bike, I'd appreciate a photos of the top mount of the shock to gauge whether I will have issues with my lowering link...

I know what you mean about searching for YSS on the forum Andrew- I had the same problem!

I'll be heading out for another ride in 4 hours if the weather cooperates but I'll take some pictures of it in a couple minutes and will email them to you. Reply to my email with any measurement questions and I'll take care of you ; )

CDN Duke

Country flag
Found what I think is a good price on the MZ506-300TR-38, 281 Euro shipped from Italy.

Shock absorber MZ506-300TR-38-X KTM DUKE 200 200 2012> YSS Suspensions, Rear Shock Absorber Motorbik

Hopefully I don't get hammered by customs.

Not sure why the 50mm was discontinued, probably overkill for these bikes. Presumably heavier too actually. Price was right though so I jumped on it. I'll have heat concerns with proximity to pipe so hoping larger 50mm bore is increased oil volume to ostensibly better handle the heat.

Bosco

Country flag
Just found this thread. Has anyone used a YSS shock on a 17+ track bike? If so, what are your impressions?

Being that there have been good things mentioned about YSS, I think more importantly, if anyone has used this shock over time, how has it stood up?

Edit: just so everyone is aware, these are emulsion shocks we're discussing. So, it's not always a fair comparison to a non-emulsion, more expensive shock.

Because it is an emulsion type, for my uses (racing and track days), I'm not interested. But I thought I'd help move the thread along with these points :)

Last edited:

CDN Duke

Country flag
I've been happy with mine since I installed it in 2017. Several track days and a few thousand kms, trouble free. Very happy with the performance to date.

John390

so, how does the cost factor out? IE 281 Euros, convert to Canadian, plus shipping from Italy, duty if applicable, tax if applicable?

Once all this is factored in, how close to a JRi or something similar?

CDN Duke

Country flag
so, how does the cost factor out? IE 281 Euros, convert to Canadian, plus shipping from Italy, duty if applicable, tax if applicable?

Once all this is factored in, how close to a JRi or something similar?
It was 281 Euro shipped. I think I only paid 13% HST on the ~252 Euro price before shipping. I am pretty sure I was under C$500 when all was said and done.

John390

ok, so still cheaper than the next step up.

I am happy with my rear setup, but its good to know one doesn't need to spend $800 or more to get it done.

ok, so still cheaper than the next step up.

I am happy with my rear setup, but its good to know one doesn't need to spend $800 or more to get it done.

John -- If we're comparing the functionality of this shock to other emulsion types, then it will be similar in functionality only. But in terms of quality, then it will not be similar.

Also, emulsion shocks are not ideal for track or racing; they heat up quickly and lose their performance. And given the location on this bike with it being so close to the exhaust, that's a concern.

This is not a comparable shock to JRi, Penske, Ohlins, etc. It's an alternative, given the price, but the quality (and adjustability) of the aforementioned brands is much better. I'm sure this shock is much better than the stock shock. But, IMHO just buy the best and buy it once.

John390

ahh, ok. I'll have to look up the difference in an emulsion type vs non-emulsion? I have never heard of this terminology before.