Best practices on how to keep your engine cooler

Diploman

Zaster, The 390's cooling system is well-designed and quite sufficient for the engine's heat output -IF all the cooling system components are working properly. There are many RC's and Dukes in North America that operate routinely in very hot weather - eg., Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc. - without the slightest problem. To make the 390 cooling system even more capable it is possible (recommended) to fit a SPAL 5.2 inch puller fan. (KTM fits SPAL fans to all its Austria-built bikes.) Better coolant, such as Engine Ice or Evans is also helpful. A new radiator cap of 1.6 bar capacity can also upgrade the system.

If your bike is having cooling problems, this is without a doubt a symptom that some component in its cooling system is faulty and not working as designed. If you can identify and replace the defective component, the bike will run in any climate without cooling problems.

motoputz

Country flag
run more water and less anti freeze. I live in California and my bike is not stored outside in freezing weather. What I did with mine was drain the coolant that was in the bike when I picked it up and just refilled with distilled water. There was enough residual antifreeze in the system to prevent corrosion. Once I did this the bike stopped puking out coolant when I shut it off after a ride on a hot day, or even a warm day. Water is better at heat transfer than Glycol, much better. Run more water and update to a 1.6 bar radiator cap.