Big Willow 5/30 Memorial Day -- I'm in. Anyone else?

reenmachine

Country flag
I just signed up with Motoyard for a track day at Big Willow on Memorial Day, 5/30/16. Anyone else want to come out?

B Group plus the Rider Enhancement Course.

tt2013

Hey reenmachine. Have you ridden this track before on your KTM RC 390? Can you please tell me your experience. I ridden Streets of Willow on a bigger bike and had a blast, but never ridden Big Willow.

reenmachine

Country flag
Hey reenmachine. Have you ridden this track before on your KTM RC 390? Can you please tell me your experience. I ridden Streets of Willow on a bigger bike and had a blast, but never ridden Big Willow.

I haven't. I've ridden Streets on the RC390, which was great with the little bike, but not Big Willow. It looks big and flowing so I'm worried I'll be on the limiter a bunch, but who knows. I'll report back afterward with video as well.

tt2013

Hi reenmachine. Have you changed the tires, brakes, or suspension on your bike? I noticed in stock form the bike need work, so I upgraded the brake pads, added clip ons, swapped the rear shock for ohlins and installed the Andreani fork cartridge kit. I also swapped the tires from the rosso II to the Dunlop A13. I might attend the track day if there is still an opening.

reenmachine

Country flag
Hi reenmachine. Have you changed the tires, brakes, or suspension on your bike? I noticed in stock form the bike need work, so I upgraded the brake pads, added clip ons, swapped the rear shock for ohlins and installed the Andreani fork cartridge kit. I also swapped the tires from the rosso II to the Dunlop A13. I might attend the track day if there is still an opening.

I didn't commit quite as hard -- R6 shock and Racetech front springs. Made a big difference. Healtech quick shifter, which is nice. Just today replaced the Rosso IIs with Bridgestone S20 Evos, and trying the 140 rear.

Hope to see you out there!

ShinySideUp

big willow seems like its too fast of a track to really have fun on the rc but i'm not experienced at all with that so take that with a grain of salt haha. I just got the s20 evos myself and love them. unfortunately my stock brakes and suspension are showing how bad they are now. the rear end really hops on hard braking. Anywho, have fun. let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

reenmachine

Country flag
big willow seems like its too fast of a track to really have fun on the rc but i'm not experienced at all with that so take that with a grain of sand haha. I just got the s20 evos myself and love them. unfortunately my stock brakes and suspension are showing how bad they are now. the rear end really hops on hard braking. Anywho, have fun. let us know how it goes.

That might be the case but I've never ridden there so I'm willing to find out the hard way. I'll let you know!

reenmachine

Country flag
Big Willow was fun! Definitely a different experience than the other tracks I've ridden. Fast and flowing with lots of elevation change. To give an idea of the increased speed, I typically log about 100 miles on a track day. Today I ran 140 miles in roughly the same amount of time.

Here's a lap:

[video=youtube_share;f1vwIXgpCpI]https://youtu.be/f1vwIXgpCpI[/video]

reenmachine

Country flag
Hi reenmachine. Have you been to Chuckwalla? If so, do you like Big Willow or Chuckwalla better?

I haven't been there yet. So far, just Auto Club Speedway, Streets of Willow, and Big Willow. Chuckwalla is a bunch more of a drive but I'm sure I'll find my way out there.

Rexbo

Country flag
I haven't been there yet. So far, just Auto Club Speedway, Streets of Willow, and Big Willow. Chuckwalla is a bunch more of a drive but I'm sure I'll find my way out there.

If you're interested in racing... CVMA is the way to roll. We've been regularly having 25+ bike grids, largest so far at 38. Tons of RC's, R3s, 300s and a couple CBRs. Track is really fun and the atmosphere is like a big family. Even if you can't commit to a full season of racing, you'll learn more in a couple races over a weekend than a year's worth of track days, and the on-track time is usually about the same since there are far less red flags from over-enthusiastic street riders.

reenmachine

Country flag
If you're interested in racing... CVMA is the way to roll. We've been regularly having 25+ bike grids, largest so far at 38. Tons of RC's, R3s, 300s and a couple CBRs. Track is really fun and the atmosphere is like a big family. Even if you can't commit to a full season of racing, you'll learn more in a couple races over a weekend than a year's worth of track days, and the on-track time is usually about the same since there are far less red flags from over-enthusiastic street riders.

I am indeed interested in racing next year and was going to poll the forum to see what the best bet is in the SoCal area. I have heard about the large grids at CVMA and that has tremendous appeal. Other orgs I've looked at seem to only have a handful of bikes (if that) in the class the 390 would fit into.

ShinySideUp

Nice! glad to see you enjoyed it. I signed up for buttonwillow august 21st with Lets Ride Trackdays if you're interested in trying that track out

tt2013

reenmachine. Do you have another track day planned? If so, let me know and I'll will schedule time off for it. I want to ride with another KTM RC390 rider.