Blown countershaft seal

Edwardp33

Country flag
I have a blown countershaft seal. Got very lucky. I spotted it before I took a corner with oily tires. Any other reports of blown countershaft seals? My chain was not over tightened, in fact it had started to loosen up a bit after the 600 mile service. Bike has 2000 miles on it.

Ryanthegreat1

What does your oil level look like? Are you checking hot or cold?

I have a Honda XR650R and they are notorious for blowing out the countershaft seal if they have too much oil in them.

Ryanthegreat1

My question was are you checking the oil when fully hot after you ride or while the engine is just slightly warm such as idling for 5 minutes? I found there to be a large change in oil volume between the two temperatures.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
My question was are you checking the oil when fully hot after you ride or while the engine is just slightly warm such as idling for 5 minutes? I found there to be a large change in oil volume between the two temperatures.

Correctamundo... plus, manual calls for "bike to be at operating temperature" and left to sit for one minute, before one checks the oil level:
CWRL8sYYyhd8HicV1PLEqRtIn3UJlnYU6GaZUF13jh2Gv16FxyVvZSCTVIrtXqniqqh26BPRD0CT4RZpy6lrzMOOdyNHqNg4o_16ZPNAaFKNhvSxqIKKmXL3cjTeU4Yb5YYkmbAeFYDGR-uEzypZMhA7enS6pd-xd7NDz1bDcvSwjw5EszX3Cs0hk33ymsWeZ8VGpyZk5jD-KvU-9eo89yenZRHSm-0OO1mICZxKNvdXNwIR0nwyYvh5f2s_CxY-EJpZ20WhO_1Dvd-_v0chE1Ze--ndrvRnQS_KZPz4wHX_eDXgxdyFO4nJnj-nFEpZNsZVknQOg0cKPlAK3J_lkF98kb_UEBmXii28yT_O5OANnQY_8ZzqvjRyWta1P89FkOxF96Hs9GqqKrtoCWw0IqI3Omp_iwmHnYM_r6Bgc4k46OwoS5o5O7Yk4EEglqLg73nogUI8XidWssqr9Prhudy7ZYc-xAriTqo3EzXrWlD2GGK3aku3nLy9sWexg0_Y71de_m7asHgxPQ6pweczUBuVyIYAHuhym7RWE7a1C6s=w1298-h563-no

I find I can't even see the oil level in the glass at all when the engine is cold. KTM screwed up on this one big in my opinion. I've never had a bike which was SO sensitive to temp to check the oil, and so easy for someone to accidentally overfill. This is terrible when you consider part of the target market is new bike owners. There are CERTAINLY a lot of RC (and Duke) 390's out there with far too much oil in them...

Edwardp33

Country flag
Good question I typically check after a few mins. The dealer did the oil change is working on the replacement seal. I will need to double check them when I get it back. Good thing it is under warranty

Oil Level

I am glad I wasn't the only person who was baffled by the KTM oil window showing no oil. I drained and re-filled according to the specs in the owner's manual.I put the bike up on a rear wheel stand and ...no oil showing in the window. :confused: I check it with the bike on level ground and it is still low. :confused: I added a little bit of oil, no difference. Now I know to add what the book says and ignore the oil window.:eek: parillaguy

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Now I know to add what the book says and ignore the oil window.:eek: parillaguy

Well, maybe not IGNORE... Just fill, then take it for a quick ride to get it fully up to operating temperature, let it sit for a minute, and THEN check the level. :)