Cam Chain tensioner (Finding that may help)

rideontt

Country flag
Chain tensioner.jpeg

Cam Chain tensioner
i Had replaced since it was making a squeak (like Automotive Auxilary belt slipping) that occurs on an inclined road when the engine is warmed up. So replaced it
with a new part (probably a 2022 KTM 390 Duke part I dont have the part No with me) with new cam chain tensioner the throttle response has become really easy to predict 🤩.

The picture shown is OLD one when on that I use more throttle input for an overtake considering throttle input level : low - mid - Full
>I use Mid-level throttle input for overtaking 2 vehicles at a time & overshoot sometimes so use brakes to position into the lane

after the new Chain tensioner was installed
> I use low-mid level throttle input & I am able to get the feel of the throttle and take advantage of a close throttle (engine brake) to position into lane overtaking 2 vehicles or more at a time taking advantage

with " Clutch pack Mild upgrade[/ISPOILER]" the you can read here; https://www.rc390-forum.com/threads/clutch-pack-mild-upgrade.4032/

Change the "Timing chain tensioner" once in 3yrs or 25000km/15500mi or earlier depending on the wear you are getting or if feedback is similar to that mentioned above with OLD tensioner

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Change the "Timing chain tensioner" once in 3yrs or 25000km/15500mi or earlier depending on the wear you are getting or if feedback is similar to that mentioned above with OLD tensioner
:) Most RC390's are not seeing anywhere near 15,500 miles. Yes, there are plenty I'm sure which have more miles than that, but I would wager that 90% of the fleet, even back to the 2015 models, are still well under that mileage. A lot of folks have also switched to the manual chain tensioner.

rideontt

Country flag
:) Most RC390's are not seeing anywhere near 15,500 miles. Yes, there are plenty I'm sure which have more miles than that, but I would wager that 90% of the fleet, even back to the 2015 models, are still well under that mileage. A lot of folks have also switched to the manual chain tensioner.
woh Now I know :oops:.

rideontt

Country flag
for overtaking previously I had to think out way earlier which taxed my head After replacing the Cam chain tensioner I am no longer getting fed up with overtakes or wide open throttle
A new update the overall range has gone up from 150km/93 mi per fill (full tank) to 170km/105 mi per fill (full tank) since the throttle feel is easy to figure out after replacing the timing chain tensioner.
I figured it out so lateo_O ( my view)

Last edited:

1JZSupra

Country flag
I have almost 25k miles on my Duke lol. I've replaced my tensioner with 2 oem units and then a manual one. Both oem units had broken pins.

KTMLaos

Country flag
It is tough to phantom seeing around 40,000 units being produced each year.
Also, the Duke and now Adv are equipped with the same engine.
My 2015 has over 42,000 km running the initial chain tensioner and, knock wood, without signs of ware.
Perhaps you're referring to the RC's sold in the US?

Most RC390's are not seeing anywhere near 15,500 miles. Yes, there are plenty I'm sure which have more miles than that, but I would wager that 90% of the fleet, even back to the 2015 models, are still well under that mileage. A lot of folks have also switched to the manual chain tensioner.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It is tough to phantom seeing around 40,000 units being produced each year.
Also, the Duke and now Adv are equipped with the same engine.
My 2015 has over 42,000 km running the initial chain tensioner and, knock wood, without signs of ware.
Perhaps you're referring to the RC's sold in the US?
Not sure where 40k units came in here.

I'm WELL aware of the platform and reused parts between the models, considering my ENTIRE business centers on the 390 platform.

I never said NO bikes had higher miles! I said MOST have under 15,500 miles. Globally. It's not like riders are going to radically differ from county to country.

According to Bajaj, the timing chain tensioner isn't a wear item, with a specified replacement interval. One of its major failings tho is that the tension adjustment is "automatic" and it doesn't produce consistent pressure. As a result, many have swapped out in favor of a manual adjuster. The timing chain is also not a wear item, with a replacement interval. In general, both are assumed (by the factory) to last the lifetime of the motor. There's no interval for inspection of either. Generally tho, you are going to inspect both when you adjust the valves. You have to let off the tension to loosen the chain to remove the cams. That's usually when the switch to a manual adjuster is performed.

If your adjuster wasn't putting enough tension on the chain, it's possible that your timing could hand been off enough as to impact performance. It's unlikely, because there would be MANY other potential issues, most which would result in engine damage (bent valves at the least) due to a faulty tensioner. That's also why many switch to the manual adjuster.

rideontt

Country flag
Not sure where 40k units came in here.

I'm WELL aware of the platform and reused parts between the models, considering my ENTIRE business centers on the 390 platform.

I never said NO bikes had higher miles! I said MOST have under 15,500 miles. Globally. It's not like riders are going to radically differ from county to country.

According to Bajaj, the timing chain tensioner isn't a wear item, with a specified replacement interval. One of its major failings tho is that the tension adjustment is "automatic" and it doesn't produce consistent pressure. As a result, many have swapped out in favor of a manual adjuster. The timing chain is also not a wear item, with a replacement interval. In general, both are assumed (by the factory) to last the lifetime of the motor. There's no interval for inspection of either. Generally tho, you are going to inspect both when you adjust the valves. You have to let off the tension to loosen the chain to remove the cams. That's usually when the switch to a manual adjuster is performed.

If your adjuster wasn't putting enough tension on the chain, it's possible that your timing could hand been off enough as to impact performance. It's unlikely, because there would be MANY other potential issues, most which would result in engine damage (bent valves at the least) due to a faulty tensioner. That's also why many switch to the manual adjuster.
not putting "enough pressure on timing chain " that is interesting. could be a reason why I am more comfortable riding to overtake is easy after replacing the chain tensioner.
also in Bajaj, they did mention the replacement time for the timing chain tensioner for one of the models(not for KTM), when I find it I will share in this thread.

Last edited: