Case covers vs KTM Sliders

mdabyo

Country flag
hey, in the process of building my race bike out and i can get the KTM sliders fora fair bit less than new case covers, thought i would ask what people onion on them are? I see most people go with the R&G case covers, but does anyone run the sliders? any good? how do they crash? issues?

I think it's also interesting to compare the price of the expensive protections, with the cheap KTM engine parts.
For example, the clutch cover is 50 EUR, whereas the KTM clutch cover protection is 126 EUR.
Ignition cover is 46 EUR, whereas the protection is 126 EUR

So the additional protection cost is 250% higher than the part to be protected!
Personally, I consider more effective to have a spare clutch and ignition cover than adding protections.
In addition, protection means higher weight, and reduce the road clearance.

What do you think?

Last edited:

=maz=

Country flag
I think it's also interesting to compare the price of the expensive protections, with the cheap KTM engine parts.
For example, the clutch cover is 50 EUR, whereas the KTM clutch cover protection is 126 EUR.
Ignition cover is 46 EUR, whereas the protection is 126 EUR

So the additional protection cost is 250% higher than the part to be protected!
Personally, I consider more effective to have a spare clutch and ignition cover than adding protections.
In addition, protection means higher weight, and reduce the road clearance.

What do you think?

Personally, I don't have a choice as the case-protection is mandatory for racing...however, having seen first hand how well the case-protection and sliders work, if you do slide your bike down the road you are more likely to be able to pick it up and limp/ride home than if all your oil has fallen out of the cracked OEM case-covers.

Thetonious

What =maz= said. The case covers are required for racing so that if you go down you don't leave liquids on the track because the fact is the cases ARE cheap and will grind through rather quickly. It's about augmenting and making the bike sturdier as opposed to "protecting" the cheap parts.

=maz=

Country flag
oh...and the case protectors will survive more than 1 slide...the OEM case covers will not.

mdabyo

Country flag
haha.. thanks for all the comments, yes mandatory here as well.. still on the fence over new overs or just the KTM sliders though. I can get the sliders for about 100$ less than the case covers as i can get them locally and at cost.

wil55n

Country flag
Aesthetically I like the KTM sliders. But for track day purposes, I feel like the case covers have a higher chance of saving my day and allowing me to continue than the sliders due to the extra coverage the case covers have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diploman

The R&G case covers are considerably less expensive than the KTM aluminum protectors. The R&G "Race Series" covers feature replaceable "pucks" at the high-wear spots, so they can be useful for multiple "events". Also, R&G offer bespoke, different stator covers for the 2015 and 2016 390's, to accommodate the redesigned stator case between model years. KTM protectors fit only <2015. R&G, to my mind, is the better choice.

CDN Duke

Country flag

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.33.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.33.16 PM.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.34.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.34.47 PM.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.35.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.35.01 PM.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.35.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.35.15 PM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 71

Treachery

Country flag
Good discussion. Thanks for the info and the links. I'm familiar with the GBRacing bits from my Triumph days; they tend to be...proud of 'em.

wil55n

Country flag
I have the R&G covers and they are much much thinner than TRex and GB Racing. They are made of different materials so it's not an apples to apples comparison but certainly, the others appear to be able to withstand a longer slide simply due to thickness.

I bought the R&G only due to price. But I would consider the GB units if I was racing.

CDN Duke

Country flag
I have the R&G covers and they are much much thinner than TRex and GB Racing. They are made of different materials so it's not an apples to apples comparison but certainly, the others appear to be able to withstand a longer slide simply due to thickness.

I bought the R&G only due to price. But I would consider the GB units if I was racing.

If going with R&G covers, I think the 'race' version with the raised and replaceable pucks would be the better choice. Not sure if you have the regular or race version?

wil55n

Country flag
If going with R&G covers, I think the 'race' version with the raised and replaceable pucks would be the better choice. Not sure if you have the regular or race version?

Sorry, I have the regular version.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Remember also that there is the Carbon Fiber with Kevlar backing case protectors too, which I have in stock and ready to ship. There are two variants which are for the 14-15 models, as well as the 16-17 models. Formula390 - Parts
Engine_Case_Covers-2.jpg
The feedback I've gotten is guys like 'em more because it protects without diminishing cornering clearance, and the kevlar weave backer wears like iron in a slide.

Also have the axle slider kits, with KTM Orange hardware, available at the same URL: Formula390 - Parts
TPER-2004-3.jpgTPER-2004-2.jpg