CMRA Round 6 Race Report

ArkansasDave

This was the first weekend with my Ktm and I started out with a street version and added a jri double adjuster shock, been Brake pads, rbf600 brake fluid and the race windscreen. Everything else was stock with street stuff removed.

First race with the Ktm report:

Things I learned:

I need to remove the abs system.
The front end is too soft.
I love small hp bikes.
Rc390 is definitely way better than the ninja/cbr
Geometry can make huge differences.
Loud exhaust would have gotten me an extra place in a race.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, they haven't been posted yet. For Friday practice I got 3 session in the morning and corner worked the afternoon sessions. It took a little while to get used to the bike and get over the new shinyness of it. After 3 sessions I was still 3-4 seconds down on my best lap on the ninja 300. After raising the ride height in the rear and a good nights sleep it was race time.

There were 9 rc390's in my first race including 3 of the top 10 cup series riders and 27 total riders combined expert and novice. Really wanting to do well I pushed a lot harder and had a good battle with a group of novice riders. One by one I picked them off and made it to the front of the second pack. I finished 11 out of 27, 3rd novice rider.

My second race is a little different, there are 3 classes and a 2 wave start. The second wave has some very fast ninja 250 riders. So having more confidence I pulled away from the same people I battled with earlier and was able to hold off the fast 250 riders for several laps and even played a game of how late can you brake with one of them. I did my fastest lap and beat my ninja 300 time by 1.5 seconds. I got 10th in class and 2nd novice racer.

3rd race was cut short due to a serious crash earlier shutting down the track for a while. This was combined with sv650's and the "300" class. Going into the first slow speed turn someone checked up in front of me and I got seriously mugged by 5-6 people. That's fine, I knew I would get them back and plenty of time to practice my passing. I came up to a pack of 4-5 riders that was stuck behind a noob on a sv650. 5 turns left on the last lap and the group fans out to brake into a turn(moto3 style) and I passed every last one of them besides the noob on the sv650. So I setup a pass and right when I'm getting ready to execute the pass I hit the rev limiter(I guess I picked up extra speed that I hadn't before). So that kills it for that turn. I've got 3 turns left to pass this noob, the last 3 turns are more like a triple apex turn than 3 separate turns. I go to dive underneath him before the last apex and you guessed it. I hit the rev limiter which ran me wide and killed my drive and the sv650 ran away to the finish line. Luckily we had gapped the others enough that I didn't get passed on my way to the finish line. Had I had an exhaust that allowed me to hear my engine better I may have been able to make that pass happen.

It was a great weekend and I had a ton of fun despite my less than desirable results.

psych0hans

Country flag
Get a power commander/ Power tronics/ Ecu remap and increase your rev limit. Love your report! Do you have any videos? It would be awesome to see some of that passing :D

p.s. You can fix the front with some heavier springs and oil.

Bagwell

Country flag
Sounds like a blast, sorry I missed out on Cresson last weekend. Just too much to do. Might see ya at a race this year though.

OldVet

It sounds like you had a lot of fun Dave thanks for the report.

One question what do you think of the JRi shock?

ArkansasDave

It sounds like you had a lot of fun Dave thanks for the report.

One question what do you think of the JRi shock?

its awesome and a must have if you're gonna be on the track a lot.

Get a power commander/ Power tronics/ Ecu remap and increase your rev limit. Love your report! Do you have any videos? It would be awesome to see some of that passing :D

p.s. You can fix the front with some heavier springs and oil.

yeah I need to get lots of things but the almighty dollar has too much power over me. If I had an exhaust I could have heard that I was higher up in the rev range. I couldn't hear the stock exhaust at all and mainly shifted when the bike got super buzzy.

Sorry no video.

big_sur

Nice work, I keep telling myself it's not worth getting in the last round of the season but it might just have to happen if the fun parts show up in time.

Tito_gsx

Great report! Pretty impressive that you beat your ninja time so quickly with only rear shock. Yes definitely remove ABS and add good pads ( i was able to fit vesrahs to mine)

ArkansasDave

Great report! Pretty impressive that you beat your ninja time so quickly with only rear shock. Yes definitely remove ABS and add good pads ( i was able to fit vesrahs to mine)

Which vesrah pads? I was told there weren't any yet. The brembo ones seemed to work fine but the abs had slop in it.

ryandalling

Sounds like great fun. I had to tweak the gearing to avoid the rev limiter mid corner. Takes time to figure it all out.

micahpearlman

Sounds like great fun. I had to tweak the gearing to avoid the rev limiter mid corner. Takes time to figure it all out.

I had the same problem hitting the limiter. Wouldn't be so bad but it totally shuts the bike down making it kinda dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk