cylinder honing

simpletty

Country flag
Question for the engine gurus. Was just going over my warranty paperwork and in the repair notes they had noted that the honed the cylinder. The dealer had said the bike was smoking on startup, thus replaced the rings and honed cylinder, replaced head gasket, valve cover gasket, ect. Is this cylinder nikasil and should it be honed? I remember my tz 125 pot was nikasil and we never touched them with a hone, just some wd40 and light scotch brite pad. Any input appreciated

Fasteddy

Country flag
From KTM web page...

"technical details like a forged piston, Nikasil-cylinder-coating"

Interesting...

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Assuming they used a ball hone, all is well. Just a deglaze to make sure the rings seat properly. Same effect as the scotch brite wd 40 just a little faster. I just did the same thing to my RC.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Depends on which material hone they used.... Either way a piece of scotch brite pad is all that's needed to deglaze, and it works better on Nikasil.

simpletty

Country flag
So if the incorrect gone was used what sort of symptoms may occur? Oil consumption I would assume being one of the first to show. Possiblilty of cylinder wall damage? I would hope they did the correct procedure but I wasn't involved in the process. I guess time will tell.

simpletty

Country flag
did such today. next week suspension upgrade in the works. R6 core disasembled and waiting for parts. Racetech front springs and `10wt up front should make for a nice stable ride