Engine Oil

SWdragon

Country flag
Today I was changing the oil, filters, etc....when I noticed a oil color difference in two alike liter bottles of Motorex? I use Motorex Top Speed 4T 15W-50 which meets the JASO T903 MA requirement in the owners manual. I use this type as my dealer doesn't carry the Motorex Formula 4T and the first time I changed the oil they checked with KTM and said Top Speed 4T was good. Anyways one liter was green color as I am accustom too, but other liter bottle of oil was light brown color. Anyone seen this before? I'm gonna e-mail Motorex with this question and lot numbers off each bottle.

Fasteddy

Country flag
All I use is Motorex Top Speed 4T 15W-50(blueish greenish) in the RC390, in my SD 990 I use Motorex Power Synt 4T 10w/50, Brownish, maybe mis labeled??

Diploman

Both the green and the brown are probably the same oil. Likely there was a glitch at the factory when they add the green colorant.

I use the Motorex Top Speed 4T 15 w 50 and came across the same colour as per the original post - My first lot of oil was a green colour and now it is a golden brown - seems really strange that it would be a miss label as you guys are in the States and I am in Australia -

maybe the golden brown is the new colour now? what did you guys find out?

cornerslider

I just bought a 4 liter jug of Motorex 15W-50 with a little orange sticker on the jug that said "New formula". I haven't used it yet, so not sure what color it is. Maybe that's the difference? I'll post when I change the oil later this week-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cornerslider

Just confirmed, the oil that came out of my Motorex 15W-50 jug with the "New formula" sticker (see above post from earlier) is green. I also used up the rest of my last jug, which was the normal tan color. I think maybe the "new formula" is green?

cornerslider

Just confirmed, the oil that came out of my Motorex 15W-50 jug with the "New formula" sticker (see above post from earlier) is green. I also used up the rest of my last jug, which was the normal tan color. I think maybe the "new formula" is green?

IMG_0972.JPG

Here is a picture of the jug with the "new formula"

Fasteddy

Country flag
Every container of Top Speed I have ever had has been green, as specified in the MOTOREX tech sheet, Every container of Power synt 4T has always been brown. I just received a couple of days ago a 4L container of each, just now I went and checked and much to my surprise both are brown! Not what I expected! I still have containers of both that are respectively green for Top Speed and Brown for Power SYNT.
No new formula stickers,

Did you hear anything back from your email? Is there a batch number on the container with the brown in it?

Something seems amiss..

SWdragon

Country flag
Nothing back from Motorex. I will try e-mailing them again. My Top Speed liter bottle that was brown has a batch number of 073 16 069. My Top Speed liter bottle that was green has a batch number of 073 15 114. I'm guessing 073 equals type (top speed) 15 or 16 is year made and other number ?

Fasteddy

Country flag
I went back through the four 1L containers I have, 2 are top speed / green, 2 are power synt /brown and one of the top speed containers is KTM branded. All including the two 4L containers I just received have 073 for first part of code, next is definitely the year, I have 14/15/16's last three must be specific batch / date or something.

I did find that the older TOP SPEED is marked as MA and the newest is marked as MA2, this is also confirmed by the MOTOREX web site that is not MOTOREX USA.

http://www.motorex.com/file/prospekte/MOTO LINE Brochure_2016_Mai_web.pdf

I could find nothing that indicated a color change so I also sent MOTOREX USA an email.

So the 'new formula' part is probably what makes it MA2 and the wrong oil in the bottle is what makes it brown. Just sloshing around in the container comparison seems like they are more different then just the color.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Found the answer!

4 STROKE STREET : TOP SPEED 4T

"**** Top Speed 4T has recently gone through a formulation update. The 10W40 and 15W50 are now JASO MA2. With this formulation update to the new standard, the oil will no longer be green in color, amber will be the standard color going forward. "

So no more Green Oil.....

Note:
The product web page appears to have been updated sometime after 7/24/2016.

Last edited:

SWdragon

Country flag
Well at least that's settled. I never mentioned that I have a liter of "green" Top Speed and .7 of liter of "amber" Top Speed in my bike before I noticed the difference. I'm not going to worry about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

SWdragon

Country flag
Just for the record Motorex Switzerland did reply.

Dear Steven,

We are pleased to hear you are using MOTOREX motor oils.

Thanks for your email.
No reason for any concern. We have switched from green to brown color.
It is possible, that the distributor has both colors in their store for a while.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Pascale