Engine shuts down after hitting the rev limiter?

Has anyone experienced this?
At the last couple of race days when Ive changed down an extra gear to normal and hit the limiter, twice the engine has completely died.
Once I turn the ignition off, then back on it starts again.

I have been told that if you hit the rev limiter for longer than 3 seconds the ecu shuts down as a safety feature.

Can anyone confirm this or have they experienced the same thing?

john13

Country flag
Never experienced personally but the engine might not be happy if you over rev it--sounds like you might be dropping too many gears. You can get the Akra map at your dealer which unlocks a few more revs, might help with the ECU cutting your engine.

Never experienced personally but the engine might not be happy if you over rev it--sounds like you might be dropping too many gears. You can get the Akra map at your dealer which unlocks a few more revs, might help with the ECU cutting your engine.

Haha, yes all respect for the engine goes out the window in the red mist race situations. My gearing was slightly high for this particular 4th gear corner. Was running in second place and got taken under brakes. Dammit your not going to get away with that so I knocked it back into 3rd to try and get a bit more punch, then...............brrrrrrrrrrrrr......... dead.........only positive was it happened right at the entrance of pit lane. The advice on the ecu cut out came from the local KTM dealer who indecently was the guy that overtook me. His advise to fix the problem was ''back off sooner" Haha, yeah right mate;)

Im running a PCV with rev extend to 10750rpm. Just wondering if the PCV might have had anything to do with causing the issue

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Haha, yes all respect for the engine goes out the window in the red mist race situations. My gearing was slightly high for this particular 4th gear corner. Was running in second place and got taken under brakes. Dammit your not going to get away with that so I knocked it back into 3rd to try and get a bit more punch, then...............brrrrrrrrrrrrr......... dead.........only positive was it happened right at the entrance of pit lane. The advice on the ecu cut out came from the local KTM dealer who indecently was the guy that overtook me. His advise to fix the problem was ''back off sooner" Haha, yeah right mate;)

Im running a PCV with rev extend to 10750rpm. Just wondering if the PCV might have had anything to do with causing the issue
I don't know or think the ECU will shut it completely down if held in an over rev state. But it does have a lot to do with dynojets revxtend function and the mythical "closed loop" section of the ecu. With the rev xtend on if you run under 75% throttle above the stock ecu limit of 10250 the ecu does not have a map there so it will effective shut off. You can ride around this by going wfo or grabbing 1 gear higher. Long term solutions are dynojets WBC2 maybe but I havent tested that, or Rapidbike etc that allow control in the closed loop area.

I don't know or think the ECU will shut it completely down if held in an over rev state. But it does have a lot to do with dynojets revxtend function and the mythical "closed loop" section of the ecu. With the rev xtend on if you run under 75% throttle above the stock ecu limit of 10250 the ecu does not have a map there so it will effective shut off. You can ride around this by going wfo or grabbing 1 gear higher. Long term solutions are dynojets WBC2 maybe but I havent tested that, or Rapidbike etc that allow control in the closed loop area.

You could be onto something there as both times its happened, its been in an over rev situation while closing the throttle. I have both PCV and WB2 with the voltage mod from HR to control closed loop?