First service Issues 6+ hours and $370 wtf???

micahpearlman

I did DIY 1st service and was in spec on the valves (right exhaust almost too tight). About 3 hours (2 race weekends) on the motor (all race miles). My plan is oil + filter and valves every 2 weekends -- totally arbitrary maintenance schedule -- may need more or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

octaneguy

I bought my RC 390 from a Costa Mesa dealership and they quoted me 4 hours of labor plus parts for the first servicing. My bike is there now, hoping I can afford what the total bill is going to be. I tried calling a dealership closer to me but they were booked for the entire week. We shall see what the damage is later this week.

Treachery

Country flag
Four hours is closer to actual, but where you're taking a beating is that 4 hours is not what KTM's book quotes. The fact that they can't do it in the quoted time isn't your problem.

ryandalling

My valves were right at spec after 4 race weekends. I had the shop do it while they were removing the ABS. They only charged me an extra hour since the bike was already torn apart.

ToraTora

Country flag
Give me a two stroke already!

Seriously though, six plus hours seem very excessive to me. If your bike is the first one on which the shop has done the service they should cut you some slack. Sure it's going to take them longer because they are learning the bike, but it's not your responsibility to pay for their education.

Another angle you have is did they call you to ask permission to expend the extra time once they realized it was going to take 4 times as long?

RoninJames

Give me a two stroke already!

Seriously though, six plus hours seem very excessive to me. If your bike is the first one on which the shop has done the service they should cut you some slack. Sure it's going to take them longer because they are learning the bike, but it's not your responsibility to pay for their education.

Another angle you have is did they call you to ask permission to expend the extra time once they realized it was going to take 4 times as long?

Yea Tora, they only charged me for 4 hours, and they called and asked me about the valves. said it didnt have to be done but being a new bike they suggested it, and i agreed.

As a follow up I wanna say That Evan at Solid Performance here in PA has contacted me after and went to bat for me w KTM letting them know their book is wrong and way off and trying to get me some reimbursement.

In the end KTM (the manufacturer) wouldnt admit any fault but Evan offered to refund me for another hour of service. I just asked him to hook up the Akra map for me when i get my new exhaust and call it even.

In all i never really blamed the shop, I blame KTM for putting a bogus number in the book for the first service.

as a side note, Evan inquired from KTM about the valve clearance check being mandatory for the first service. The official answer was while it is NOT mandatory, and does NOT void the warranty if not performed... it is encouraged AND if you dont have it done, and there is an issue with the valves after KTM will NOT cover it.

food for thought

ryandalling

I used EDR. They did good work but claimed to hate the design of the bike and how hard things were to get to. They did come in under estimate though.

Treachery

Country flag
Yea Tora, they only charged me for 4 hours, and they called and asked me about the valves. said it didnt have to be done but being a new bike they suggested it, and i agreed.

As a follow up I wanna say That Evan at Solid Performance here in PA has contacted me after and went to bat for me w KTM letting them know their book is wrong and way off and trying to get me some reimbursement.

In the end KTM (the manufacturer) wouldnt admit any fault but Evan offered to refund me for another hour of service. I just asked him to hook up the Akra map for me when i get my new exhaust and call it even.

Ups to the dealer for trying. That partially mitigates charging more than the "book" says, but KTM needs to fix the book.

BTW, if you get the Akra exhaust, the map comes with it. Free.

In all i never really blamed the shop, I blame KTM for putting a bogus number in the book for the first service.

as a side note, Evan inquired from KTM about the valve clearance check being mandatory for the first service. The official answer was while it is NOT mandatory, and does NOT void the warranty if not performed... it is encouraged AND if you dont have it done, and there is an issue with the valves after KTM will NOT cover it.

food for thought
That's bear feathers, too, innit? The maintenance section in the manual lists the valves as part of the first service. Where the optional thing came from, I don't know. Come on, KTM.