First weekend of racing on my rc390 cup

nino209

Well the experiment has begun, i have been racing my ZX10 for the past 3 years, with a decent degree of success.
during my amateur year I won the over all amateur, and the am super sport open championship.

When i decided to buy an RC390 i really had no idea what i was getting into, I have never been on anything smaller than a 600 in the track.
Well this past weekend at round 1 of the CVMA winter season, i learned.

I have to say it's the most fun i have had racing in a wile, this thing is tons of fun.
The bike still needs more set up, and i need to learn how to ride it properly, I'm still using 1k lines on some corners, i started running 2:20s a dismal pace compare to what I'm accustom to, 1:54s on the big bike.

I plan to have my rear shock re-valve for the next round, the front we got it working really good, i changed the oil to 7w and modified ninja 250 springs and it is working great.

After 2nd practice i started running 2:09s, on the Saturday races 350 super sport and ultralight weight shoot out, I ended up 13th and 14TH, my best time was a 2:11
The lead guys are running 2:00 to 2:04 , so i still a long way to be were i want to be.

i was running the alpha 13s on Saturday, on Sunday i put one of the 120 bridgestone slick of my 10 and right away i started running consistently on the 2:09 and left the alpha 13 in the rear.
I need to find a solution for the rear, i want to run a slick next time, i believe i will be able to drop into the 2:05 next round, my goal for the weekend was to get a top 10 finish, well i did that on Sunday i finished 10th on the shoot out and 8th in the 350 super sport race, the grids at CVMA are pretty big on average about 20 riders take to the track on this races.

The battles are incredible and compare to the big bike were everything happens so quick some of this drafting battles seem to last a whole lap and that makes it fun.

I also need to loose more weight i went in at 190lbs next round i hope to be 180 or less, I'll post and update.

big_sur

Nice, they are truly a ton of fun.

RE: tires, I kind of did the same thing and put a 120 GP-A Pro on the front from my big bike and I feel like going from 110 to 120 in the front gave me a lot better feel. I talked to the tire guy and he said that basically no one runs the a13 front because it only comes in a 110; everybody that runs Dunlop here does an a13 rear and 120 GP-A Pro front. So, not to say the a13 is a truly great tire (I still want to try Pirelli), but I think you're going to find a lot more improvement from the rear by dealing with the shock than going from the a13 to a slick as I feel like a lot of improvement in the front comes from going up a size in tire rather than compound.

tecknojoe

Country flag
I'm in the exact same boat. Been on 600s for a few years. Raced the 390 this weekend and I can echo every issue you're talking about. It's tons of fun, but I need to change some things and get more seat time I'm trying to convince my buddy to head out to race with you guys over this winter (We're in the MRA in colorado). I remember some of your guys coming out here a year or two ago.

micahpearlman

Yeah, same thing, stepping down from a 600. I've done 3 race weekends plus a trackway and now feeling more like a lightweight racer and even picking up some trophies. Bike seems much more sensitive to suspension changes and easier to get wrong then my 600. The big things need to work on still is getting WFO even earlier and ultra late "see god" braking (having some setup issues in the late braking department -- bike really wants to flip over the front).

nino209

Nice, they are truly a ton of fun.

RE: tires, I kind of did the same thing and put a 120 GP-A Pro on the front from my big bike and I feel like going from 110 to 120 in the front gave me a lot better feel. I talked to the tire guy and he said that basically no one runs the a13 front because it only comes in a 110; everybody that runs Dunlop here does an a13 rear and 120 GP-A Pro front. So, not to say the a13 is a truly great tire (I still want to try Pirelli), but I think you're going to find a lot more improvement from the rear by dealing with the shock than going from the a13 to a slick as I feel like a lot of improvement in the front comes from going up a size in tire rather than compound.

yeah i have to say, the dunlop works great on the rear, i really want to try a slick to see if it offers more stability, and as far as the shock it definitely needs re-valving

nino209

I'm in the exact same boat. Been on 600s for a few years. Raced the 390 this weekend and I can echo every issue you're talking about. It's tons of fun, but I need to change some things and get more seat time I'm trying to convince my buddy to head out to race with you guys over this winter (We're in the MRA in colorado). I remember some of your guys coming out here a year or two ago.[/QUO
TE]

some of your guys visited last year, and kicked some ass. ei Rob Christman, Todd Larson
maybe next year i will make my way to Co. and do some racing with you all.
if you come down look me up #209 under the 2WHEELS TRACKDAYS tent.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Yea, Christman was our reigning overall #1 plate this year haha. Will do, I'll remember to look you up once I figure out some plans

Treachery

Country flag
Looking forward to following all your race exploits. Dunno if I'll ever join the fray, but trackdays are in the plan for '16.

simpletty

Country flag
Used to race TZ125 yammy back about 10 years ago, I havet got the rc track ready yet, but Ive been busting it out on track days and its like a memory from the past, Hot late braking in the corners, diving in under the litre bikes and 600's. Its not as nimble as the TZ but just as fun and once the suspension is up to par im sure that Ill be back in the fray with the bigger bikes.