Found this awesome site with detailed info on Motorcycle Springs

psych0hans

Country flag
Found this awesome site with detailed info on Motorcycle Springs and a lot of other motorcycle related info...
[url=http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/springs.htm said:
Peter Verdone Designs - Motorcycle Springs[/url]]Spring Math: To rate an unknown spring:

(11,500,000 x (wire diameter) ^(4)) / (8 x (ID + wire diameter) ^(3) x active coils)
Example: wire diameter = .489; ID = 2.275; active coils = 5.666
Your rate is = 687.0 (I checked this against a Hypercoil spring that I rated on my digital spring scale at 686 lbs/in, and on another spring using new variables that I rated at 805 lb/in, so it works)

Note: The paint on rear shock springs is very thick, you must get a very accurate measure of wire diameter for this formula to work. You may have to remove some paint with a razor blade to get the calipers onto bare metal. I found that the blue Hypercoils paint added 0.011" to 0.012" to the actual wire diameter.

Also: This formula assumes that the spring matirial is a high quality silicon spring. Lower grade springs may give erroneous results. The formula only works for non-tapered, non-progressive springs.

To figure out active coils:

Hold the spring upright and start from the bottom. When the flat end coil comes in contact with the first coil, that’s zero. Up from there, count the number of turns until it touches the other flat end coil. In most cases, it won't end up on an even number. Divide the full turn into 10 units. (Active coils = 8.5; or 9.2; or 7.8, etc.). I found that using a degree wheel or protractor gave me the most accurate divisions.