Greetings from AUSTRALIA - VIC

Renstar

Country flag
G'day mate's.

First of all, what a forum this is. All the information in the world and helpful people everywhere I am amazed. Glad to join you on my recently purchased 2015 RC390.

About the bike - I came across it at an insurance auction, it had been stolen and some parts were missing. So it was a write off and put to insurance auction as a wreck. I was able to get the winning bid at $800 AUD (568USD) and won the bike. Upon seeing it the first time, I realised the only things missing were the ignition barrel, left hand side fairings and left mirror. Other than those missing it was a completely fine bike. I got my hands on a key eliminator kit for $48usd and a left fairing for $60usd. In all, about $1000 for a complete bike with 22,000kms amazing deal.

I have one question. I plan to start racing it next year and would like to know. If you guys could give me one tip of advice to really make this a track weapon, what stock part should I replace? the bike is complete stock as is.

Cheers!

Rexen

- Rear sets
- Clip-ons (lower than stock)
- Race fairings
- Slip-on
- Rear shock if you feel its too jumpy
- Quickshifter is a sweet thing
- Steelbraided brake lines

The list is limitless, but so is the joy! :)

There's a couple of posts about what to ditch and replace. The general consensus for the most part is:

Front and rear suspension. The best bang for the buck is the R6 rear shock swap, but there's a ton of other options as well. Talk to Formula 390 for smart options on suspension.
Rear sets as ground clearance turns into a problem when you start slinging the bike around.
Gearing makes a big difference as our bikes are great on the low end for strong exits, but a little cheater gearing always helps. 520 chains are good, 415 chains are really good but they wear out faster.
A lot of folks are removing or bypassing the ABS and going direct lines from the master cylinder to the caliper. You don't need new lines if you can't afford them. You can re-purpose the old ones.
You might consider a larger front rotor. The Galfer 320mm disk with spacers is a huge improvement over stock.

Also, put your bike on a diet. You can dump a ton of weight by ditching all the non-essential stuff. You don't need a full set of race fairings right away. Just replace the windshield with the KTM race screen and replace the belly pan with a solid unit. The rest can be replaced later. I still run my stock side fairings without issue. The race tail is a nice add on if you want it.

Rexen is right, the speed mods are almost endless. You can mess around with airbox lids, complete airbox swaps, power commanders, fuel injectors, pistons...

Renstar

Country flag
- Rear sets
- Clip-ons (lower than stock)
- Race fairings
- Slip-on
- Rear shock if you feel its too jumpy
- Quickshifter is a sweet thing
- Steelbraided brake lines

The list is limitless, but so is the joy! :)

There's a couple of posts about what to ditch and replace. The general consensus for the most part is:

Front and rear suspension. The best bang for the buck is the R6 rear shock swap, but there's a ton of other options as well. Talk to Formula 390 for smart options on suspension.
Rear sets as ground clearance turns into a problem when you start slinging the bike around.
Gearing makes a big difference as our bikes are great on the low end for strong exits, but a little cheater gearing always helps. 520 chains are good, 415 chains are really good but they wear out faster.
A lot of folks are removing or bypassing the ABS and going direct lines from the master cylinder to the caliper. You don't need new lines if you can't afford them. You can re-purpose the old ones.
You might consider a larger front rotor. The Galfer 320mm disk with spacers is a huge improvement over stock.

Also, put your bike on a diet. You can dump a ton of weight by ditching all the non-essential stuff. You don't need a full set of race fairings right away. Just replace the windshield with the KTM race screen and replace the belly pan with a solid unit. The rest can be replaced later. I still run my stock side fairings without issue. The race tail is a nice add on if you want it.

Rexen is right, the speed mods are almost endless. You can mess around with airbox lids, complete airbox swaps, power commanders, fuel injectors, pistons...

That's great help thankyou! I've been thinking about rearsets as a maybe, but I wasn't aware clearance was a bit of a problem for getting low. That's great help - I was thinking of a suspension kit also. Might try get my hands on a rear shock first before a cartridge kit

The rear shock was my first mod. That completely changed the attitude of the bike and made it work the way I wanted it to. There are a couple of cartridge kit options, but even stiffer fork springs make a big difference.