hi, new member, not owner yet.

Topaz

Country flag
Hi, I'm looking to get an RC 390, so I logged in here to find good info an advice.
My new bike should be street/track days. Maybe some amateur racing in the future.

I've been riding for some years. Starting out with track days.
Mariano

Hekimpd

Welcome. This forum has an amazing community and an awesome resource for info from the sponsors. You'll love RC, just be prepared to be addicted to upgrading it. My wife still has me on my leash, but not for long. ;-)

reenmachine

Country flag
Welcome! I bought mine for the street with the hope of a trackday to try it out, and I predict that by summer it will be a gutted dedicated track bike :cool:. The sickness hits hard!

Topaz

Country flag
Thanks for the welcome, guys! The forum is very helpful. And it seems to be still a small community, and mainly track day goers and racers.

I keep looking for the RC. I'm gonna go tomorrow to my closest dealer, about 30 miles, to get a OTD price, and probably on Tuesday to check out a used one. Although I have to admit that I'm still considering the Ninja 300.

I got kind of scared about some reviews of the RC. The main cons of the bike seem to be:

The wheels seem not to be very resistant and brake easily! Saw some scary pictures on line.
People complaining about the engine not idling well, surging and working jerky at low revs. Solution would be remapping or installing PC.
People with head gasket issues. Also scary.
Gear coming off. I saw the thread about this and the solution.
Bad quality brake rotors and levers. Also saw the advice from @Formula390
Bad quality stem bearings. Saw already comments on the forum.

Looks like the bike needs to be finished at home.
What do you guys think? (Other than the issues already commented on the forum)

Topaz

Country flag
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I replied before to this, but somehow the post got missing.

Still looking for an RC. Went to my closest dealer today, about 30 miles away. They have one Race Cup and one street version. They gave me an OTD of 6400 for the street version.

There is also a used RC kind of close. I will check it out tomorrow.

I got a bit scared about some reviews. The problems I read about the most were: gear shift coming off, bad quality levers, wheels that brake too easily, engine not idling well and jerky at low revs, and some guys with blown head gaskets.

Some of those may have been just bad luck. Other issues I already saw comments and solutions on the forum. For the rest, I'm trying to digest them before buying.

reenmachine

Country flag
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I replied before to this, but somehow the post got missing.

Still looking for an RC. Went to my closest dealer today, about 30 miles away. They have one Race Cup and one street version. They gave me an OTD of 6400 for the street version.

There is also a used RC kind of close. I will check it out tomorrow.

I got a bit scared about some reviews. The problems I read about the most were: gear shift coming off, bad quality levers, wheels that brake too easily, engine not idling well and jerky at low revs, and some guys with blown head gaskets.

Some of those may have been just bad luck. Other issues I already saw comments and solutions on the forum. For the rest, I'm trying to digest them before buying.

Honestly, I've been around this forum for a while and I haven't heard major gripes about any of those. Yeah, there are some cheap parts on the bike and various people do complain of roughness or idle issues, but I think it's safe to say that the great majority of us are really happy with the bike. The Internet can scare you off of virtually any purchase if you let it -- the disgruntled minority are always the vocal ones.

Personally, I'd go for the street version regardless of what you plan to use it for. You can build a better race bike than the cup bike out of the street version for less money, and you can't register the cup bike for the street.

Hekimpd

I agree. I haven't had any major issues. Oh great, I just jinxed myself. :). This bike has been available in small displacements I believe in India for a couple years. Yeah, some parts are cheaper, but until they make another rc8 or even a rc690, this bike is just fine. :)