Ktm rc390 issues

Vyzorr

--- IF this is the wrong area to post please advise me which area to post in Im sorry if this wasn't the right area--

Hey all! I'm new here to the forum,
I've scoured the forums a fair bit, and got to say I love the place! I have bought an RC390 2015, had it for 7 months, absolutely loved the bike completely! honestly fell in love with KTM from the minute I laid my eyes on it.

Unfortunately I've had some issues with the bike that have annoyed me but I do not want to get rid of her, I love it way too much and I feel these issues are somewhat minor? here's my problems..

I'm at 7800km at the moment, had my first service done.. not too sure if the mechanic messed things up there, not 100% he did valve clearences etc... anyway

Im almost at my 2nd service now, and very excited, but the issues I am having is:

Fan is working sometimes, sometimes it isn't, only in 1st and 2nd gear as im cruising in low speeds in traffic the bike over heats a lot, and I mean A LOT, I get the warning on the dash saying "HIGH COOLANT TEMPERATURE" and the bike shuts off before it hits those nasty 3 bars of hot. So in a way I feel lucky it really isnt getting into those high heating areas, but still all my 13 or 10 bars whatever they are, are full.
Now this SOMETIMES happens, sometimes not, If the fan works 1 trip, it might not work on the way back. If Im chilling in traffic and the fan kicks in, and I turn it off then back on, fan wont work(This was just for testing). It happens only in 1st and 2nd gear like I said, and it will not let me rev past 4-5k RPMS(this is when the warning indicator comes on for the high coolant temperature) it gives me a fair bit then it cuts off the bike completely and only when the notches are cooled down a fair bit can I turn it back on.

Secondly... my bike cuts off in 3rd gear, now this has happened randomly and the KTM mechanics said they cannot find the issue, but I found the problem! So in 3rd gear and 3rd gear ONLY, NO OTHER GEAR WILL THIS CUT OUT IN. But in 3rd gear if I am doing 50km/h lets say, and then I slowly let the throttle off with around 1/4 throttle going still, and it hits 49km/h if I really slam the throttle hard to go back up, the bike cuts off power, and the bike slowly drains, its like I was downshifting.. as in going to 2nd gear.. but Im not.. anyway the power comes on after a few seconds, its around a 1-2 second delay and it shoots off back(am currently in 3rd still). Now this can be avoided completely if I just don't slam it hard at 49km/h. but still this almost killed me one time I was going 49km/h in 3rd and slammed it to pass a car, and it died on me, that small 1-2 second delay could of easily killed me.

the KTM dealer ship tells me there is no issue at all, that they cant find it, that they cannot even find the fan issue (because it was working for them perfectly fine that day apparently even though it messes up on me all the time). They wont fix the bike without an "issue" being there. I have recorded the bike dying in 3rd gear, I need to find the video and send it to them, I showed 1 other mechanic and he told me that he couldn't hear anything when it was clear what was happening, and everyone else I showed(friends) could see it clearly.

7 month old bike,

2 issues at the moment.

What do you guys reckon I can do, or maybe any solutions?

Sorry that I've written so much but I wanted to be very very specific.

Thank-you kindly,

Vyz

reenmachine

Country flag
Here's the thread you need:

How many miles + problems thread

If your problems are truly as you describe, they're definitely warranty issues. Try a different dealer, or if that's not possible contact KTM directly. If all else fails, start reading everything on here and dig in!

Vyzorr

Thank you :). I have no idea how to contact KTM themselves? My dealer refuses to tell me this is a warranty issue, irritating me so much. definitely going to be digging around here, and thank you so much for directing me to that forum.cheers

reenmachine

Country flag
Thank you :). I have no idea how to contact KTM themselves? My dealer refuses to tell me this is a warranty issue, irritating me so much. definitely going to be digging around here, and thank you so much for directing me to that forum.cheers

In general, anything that's wrong with the bike during the warranty period that's not due to crash damage, normal wear and tear, or gross negligence on your part is a warranty issue! I don't understand how they can say it's not.

Vyzorr

Because they can't "fault" it whene they're there, so they can't PROVE its warranty, they're just a shitty dealership, nothing I can do about it and I don't know how to complain to KTM about it, or another dealership because this is the only one.

Vyzorr

UPDATE - Just found another dealer and they apologised for the issues i've been having with my main dealership and said they'll sort me out no problems! I hope they do a great job. It's a shame since they're a 40 minute ride, and the shitty dealership that wont fix my issue is a 5 minute one :/ shame.

ray

The radiator fan issue is pretty common..I guess we have a thread here regarding the same. AFAIK, KTM had issued some replacement for the Fan or so.

Vyzorr

Well I went to another KTM dealer today and they're sorting all my issues out for me, including the fan

thanks so much for the help though!

cheers

Bill Wu

Well I went to another KTM dealer today and they're sorting all my issues out for me, including the fan

thanks so much for the help though!

cheers

Hello Vyzorr, how did your dealer fix the fan problem? My RC 390 has the exact problem the same as yours. The fan sometimes runs, sometimes doesn't.

I really want to know how to solve this problem.

The same as you. Every time I went to the dealer, the fan works well. After leaving there, the fan problem came again.

If you could tell me, I'll be very appreciated!

Vyzorr

Sorry just saw this now! well the fan actually was the issue, they tested everytying else and it was the fan, go to another dealer, those ones are clearly not doing their job. it's 100% the fan, myne works sometimes sometimes not, get them to check it properly, if they say its no issue then clearly it's a lie. my bike is running great now fan changed and all :)

hope this helps!

:)

Bagwell

Country flag
well, trouble shooting is sometimes dependent on the problem actually happening when checking things. It might not be acting up while there. Just a thought.

Bill Wu

Sorry just saw this now! well the fan actually was the issue, they tested everytying else and it was the fan, go to another dealer, those ones are clearly not doing their job. it's 100% the fan, myne works sometimes sometimes not, get them to check it properly, if they say its no issue then clearly it's a lie. my bike is running great now fan changed and all :)

hope this helps!

:)
Thanks a lot for your reply Vyzorr! I'll talk to my dealer and see how he will do for me.

Anyway thank you very much for telling me. At least now I know the problem comes from the fan itself.:eek:

But I still wonder how your dealer found the problem came from fan itself? How did they test it?
My dealer just started my bike's engine, and waited for the fan to run. But the fan always ran when it was there. And my dealer said he can't do anything for me unless the fan is dead on the spot.

If you could let me know how your dealer tested it, maybe I can make my dealer to do that.

Anyway you already helped me a lot. Thank you again!:)

Bill Wu

well, trouble shooting is sometimes dependent on the problem actually happening when checking things. It might not be acting up while there. Just a thought.

Yep, but my dealer just waited for the problem happening, he never checks the fan. And the fan problem for now never happened there. That makes me really unhappy.

CAZHEREDIA

Took the bike for the 1st service valve inspection and everything feels great, however I noticed yesterday when I got home that the cover thing on top of the gas tank is loose, I had to remove it today while driving in the freeway because it was about to blow off. When I took it off I noticed its the cover for the battery and a couple fuses and sensors.

I wasn't able to snap it back in place, Did the shop forget to screw it back on? Or those anyone know if its a "pop-back-in-place" deal?

Thanks

reenmachine

Country flag
Took the bike for the 1st service valve inspection and everything feels great, however I noticed yesterday when I got home that the cover thing on top of the gas tank is loose, I had to remove it today while driving in the freeway because it was about to blow off. When I took it off I noticed its the cover for the battery and a couple fuses and sensors.

I wasn't able to snap it back in place, Did the shop forget to screw it back on? Or those anyone know if its a "pop-back-in-place" deal?

Thanks

It pops back in place, but if you don't get it right it'll fly off at speed. It has a latch actuated by a cable loop under the seat on the right side. There are several tabs you must align when sliding the cover rearward into place and then the latch will click. Tug on it a bunch to make sure it's secure. It's not the best design, but once you do it a couple times it's fine.