Low Oil Pressure light on 2017 RC390

mattv

Country flag
I changed the oil today using an oem filter. Went for 150 mile ride, no low oil pressure warnings.

Corner4days

That is real good news! So it's safe to say, avoid K&N oil filters. I'm looking at a new oil pump and sensor. The parts are on order from the dealership.

abyzfr6

Country flag
Many low oil pressure problems comes from clogged oul filters, due to the clutch material and coolent leakage to the crank case.

Corner4days

Well, it turns out it was just a bad sensor. The dealership replaced it and no more light! I'll be careful to not ride in a record downpour again.

Corner4days

Update! I'm sitting here stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Was riding along until I heard a loud clunk, and then grinding. I looked down to see "Low Oil Pressure "!! I have no idea how long it was on for, but my engine seems to be toast. Now I'm waiting for a tow.

mattv

Country flag
Damn, sorry to hear that. At least your previous low oil issue is documented with KTM, so I assume everything will be taken care of under warranty. Hope they get you back on two wheels soon.

antarius

Shock, you mean the dealer guessed wrong? Color me shocked!

It seems to be a common thread... so few dealers who know what they're doing ends up costing us tons of time and effort after the fact.

Just a side note: Superduke 990's had a similar issue where coolant would get into the oil (not via a headgasket like these RC390's seem to do, often -- but through the waterpump shaft seal) and that would cause the oil filter to collapse. When it would collapse, you'd sporadically get a "low oil pressure" light, as the sludgy mess the oil/coolant makes would collapse the small paper filter temporarily. It would often be intermittent and depend on temperature of the oil, but would eventually cause other problems.

I would be curious if that's what's happening here, or what happened here. Not hard to imagine the head gasket starting to fail, coolant begins to get in the oil, the oil sump which holds very little oil to begin with gets contaminated and clogs up / collapses the small paper oil filter, light comes on and goes off seemingly randomly. Then, one day, it stays collapsed for a long enough period of time and boom, oil starvation, engine bye bye.

Last edited:

Corner4days

It really is hard to tell what is going on. I'm going to get it to the dealer this week. One thing I remember though, is that once stopped, the engine seemed to be idling just fine until I turned it off. I wonder if I'm dealing with an oil starved clutch or transmission? Either way, I'm sure theres some nice metal chunks floating around in there.

Attachments

• dead390.jpg
    dead390.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Corner4days

Well, the dealership cant replicate the issue. They claim they have ridden it for about 15 miles and rode it hard and could not get the whine and grind I heard and felt. Enough to scare me to get a fu**ing tow truck and not ride it anymore. I hate to say it, but I'm done with this bike. I know my RC is likely the exception, but it has been nothing but trouble for me in the short 2200 miles I got to ride it. It spent more time in the shop this summer than in my garage. Thanks all for the input and help on this forum. I appreciate it!

Orangey1

Wow. I came to the right place. I have a 2017 rc 390. Oil light came on even tho i had appropriate amount in reserve. Then engine started knocking and blew. I had it two months!! And now im bummed. Wondering if it will happen again

Corner4days

Wow. I came to the right place. I have a 2017 rc 390. Oil light came on even tho i had appropriate amount in reserve. Then engine started knocking and blew. I had it two months!! And now im bummed. Wondering if it will happen again

I'm very sorry to hear that! Did you get a new engine? Its as if there is an oil starving problem, even if it has the correct amount of oil!

I wasn't going to risk having my engine blow and put me in a dangerous situation. The Service tech that has been working with me said that he has seen several 390's with blown engines come in this Summer alone, all with the same symptoms. It is just a matter of time before mine did the same.

Its a real shame because I absolutely LOVE this bike. But now I have the new 2018 Ninja 400, and I have to say, it is every bit as capable as the 390.

Orangey1

I'm very sorry to hear that! Did you get a new engine? Its as if there is an oil starving problem, even if it has the correct amount of oil!

I wasn't going to risk having my engine blow and put me in a dangerous situation. The Service tech that has been working with me said that he has seen several 390's with blown engines come in this Summer alone, all with the same symptoms. It is just a matter of time before mine did the same.

Its a real shame because I absolutely LOVE this bike. But now I have the new 2018 Ninja 400, and I have to say, it is every bit as capable as the 390.

The dealer was giving alot of issues and accusing me of abuse of the break in process. I was having overheating issues before I had the low oil warning. I owned a suzuki gs before i bought this bike and i was spoiled to quality and reliablity. Couple that with the dealership bad mouthing and accusing me and i may never want to own another ktm product again. Also worth noting. The dealership didnt have time to change my oil or first service, so i had to do it myself. They wanted the bike for a week(to do the service) and now my bike is in their garage for a new engine for another 3 weeks. Please note. I tore apart my suzuki gs motor, rebuilt the carb and put it all back together in 3 days!! And im not a mechanic. So it didnt sit well with me. Lastly, if rc 390 owners see that oil pressure warning come on, turn of your bike and take it to the dealership asap. Without riding it. I hope this helps people. I really want to like this bike. But now im about to buy a honda cbr.

Corner4days

The dealer was giving alot of issues and accusing me of abuse of the break in process. I was having overheating issues before I had the low oil warning. I owned a suzuki gs before i bought this bike and i was spoiled to quality and reliablity. Couple that with the dealership bad mouthing and accusing me and i may never want to own another ktm product again. Also worth noting. The dealership didnt have time to change my oil or first service, so i had to do it myself. They wanted the bike for a week(to do the service) and now my bike is in their garage for a new engine for another 3 weeks. Please note. I tore apart my suzuki gs motor, rebuilt the carb and put it all back together in 3 days!! And im not a mechanic. So it didnt sit well with me. Lastly, if rc 390 owners see that oil pressure warning come on, turn of your bike and take it to the dealership asap. Without riding it. I hope this helps people. I really want to like this bike. But now im about to buy a honda cbr.

Man, it sounds like you have a bad dealership in your area. talk about kicking someone when they are down. I hope your RC comes out of this trouble-free. And yes. Don't play with the "Low Oil Pressure" light.

Boardinfourlife

Country flag
I've had my 2017 RC390 for a few months now and am already having my first issue. I am seeing the "Low Oil Pressure" light during the bikes warm-up. It's a bit strange because the light will always come on while the bike is warming up, but once it gets to operating temperature, the light will shut off and stay off as long as the bike is warmed up. I have verified that I am at the proper oil level and have since dropped off the bike at the dealership. I am posting here partially for documentation in case others have this issue as well, which seems to be the case. The dealership has reported 3 other 390's having similar problems this season alone. I should note that I have had my 600 mile service done, so my warranty should cover whatever is wrong.

Has anyone here had this issue? I will let you know what they find (hopefully soon).
Have been an owner of this 2017 RC 390 for 3 years now.. 50 percent track and 50 percent street.. rebuilt the bike from the ground up twice.. factory oem.. gotta stay on top of oil changes (motorex 15w 50) and grab a box of filters like there going out of style lol the oil is expensive so if you rebuild swap oil and drain for clutch dust and everything else just use some coffee filters and skim it... tiny bit of coolant in the oil no problem.. you'll see it floating on the top.. skim it... as for the timing chain tensioner.. 100 percent keep that in check as my pin worn out and I found it in the main journal oil port of my crank shaft lol as for the oil pressure sensor goes it usually does what it's suppose to do.. never had a single sensor fail me on this bike.. very important to keep up on valve clearances and also do proper coolant flushes (no pockets of air) proper bleed.. and make sure your thermostat is tested out working as it should.. last but not least make sure your intake manifold tube the meets the throttle body is properly seated!!!! And keep on top of those fuel filters! (Really brown and discolored) clean your gas tank...

Boardinfourlife

Country flag
Thanks for the update. Interesting they think it might be a software issue.
I'm very curious myself to see what that software update even entailed... the previous owner had it done on his first 1000km service.. as seen on the paper work.. he also denied the valve clearance check lol I'm assuming he would've had to pay out of pocket for it.. more or less it's to also check and see if those valves are still seated correctly and within tolerance..

Boardinfourlife

Country flag
Well, the dealership cant replicate the issue. They claim they have ridden it for about 15 miles and rode it hard and could not get the whine and grind I heard and felt. Enough to scare me to get a fu**ing tow truck and not ride it anymore. I hate to say it, but I'm done with this bike. I know my RC is likely the exception, but it has been nothing but trouble for me in the short 2200 miles I got to ride it. It spent more time in the shop this summer than in my garage. Thanks all for the input and help on this forum. I appreciate it!
With out a doubt this bike isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to the 400 class.. it runs hot 🔥 and finds it self right at home blasting through country road twists and turns however in the city on a hot summers day in stop and go traffic she wont be happy!!! I'd recommend to anyone even considering grabbing these little rockets to invest the time in a ktm 390 pdf manual for free off Google and purchase appropriate tools.. clutch basket holder, special puller for the fly and locknut, piston ring compressor, valve puller with attachment, engine locking screw, special pressure screw, bottle of loctite 243 and 5910 for the crankcase, $10 circlip pliers canadian tire, feeler gauge set, 24mm long socket with a 3/8th drive to 1/2inch attachment.. other than that just stay up on your self care maintance checks ✔️ fork oil will break down without a doubt and I usually stick to 5 weight motorex.. spec.. last but not least invest in a front stand as well. Make your life alot easier..

Boardinfourlife

Country flag
I've had my 2017 RC390 for a few months now and am already having my first issue. I am seeing the "Low Oil Pressure" light during the bikes warm-up. It's a bit strange because the light will always come on while the bike is warming up, but once it gets to operating temperature, the light will shut off and stay off as long as the bike is warmed up. I have verified that I am at the proper oil level and have since dropped off the bike at the dealership. I am posting here partially for documentation in case others have this issue as well, which seems to be the case. The dealership has reported 3 other 390's having similar problems this season alone. I should note that I have had my 600 mile service done, so my warranty should cover whatever is wrong.

Has anyone here had this issue? I will let you know what they find (hopefully soon).
Think worse case scenario would be a clogged up port restricting flow of oil, or maybe oil channels on transmission shaft gears and collar bushings slightly pitted out.. absolute worse case pitted out primary head block journals for camshafts as well as camholder head.. very unlikely your oil pump would be out of spec as it rests in oil all the time... if anything the sump may need a good clean..

tomcat

Country flag

Yes. Everyone told me that these things have oil pressure light problems even the dealer told me that. I wrote it in the rain and the oil pressure light started coming on so I assumed that's what caused it and then I went on another ride and I guess the oil pump went out so the oil pressure light was telling me something was wrong. The dealer told me it wasn't that because I was riding it too much for it to be the oil pump going bad and I should have known better.