Neutral Safety Switch?

wikit

2016 390 owner looking for advice....Recently my bike started shutting off in gear and I happened to notice that the neutral light was no longer illuminating with the gearbox in neutral.

Even stranger, The Neutral light will come on if I pull in the clutch and the bike will run normally until I let the clutch out again.

I've done quite a bit of searching and I've yet to see a definitive cause or fix although I have read descriptions of problems similar to mine

isaac_

2016 390 owner looking for advice....Recently my bike started shutting off in gear and I happened to notice that the neutral light was no longer illuminating with the gearbox in neutral.

Even stranger, The Neutral light will come on if I pull in the clutch and the bike will run normally until I let the clutch out again.

I've done quite a bit of searching and I've yet to see a definitive cause or fix although I have read descriptions of problems similar to mine

There's a switch on the underside of the clutch. Make sure that's not backed off. I think it uses a couple of screws. That's my only guess.

wikit

I can hear a relay clicking when I pull the clutch in and then the Neutral light illuminates. I actually think the neutral safety swtich, the sidestand switch and the gear indicator switch are all working correctly... very strange. Tomorrow I'm going to bypass the clutch safety switch. I have a hunch that the bike will run perfect with the clutch safety bypassed. I just wish I knew what the cause truly was rather than workarounds.

wikit

I just finished bypassing the clutch safety switch. Gear indicator works as expected and bike is running normally. I have no idea or explanation why this error occurred in the first place. It's also worth noting the MIL is not throwing any codes

Going to run the clutch bypassed along with the removing the kickstand and eliminating the kickstand safety switch.... because racebike:)

Last edited:

isaac_

This is the switch that would plug into the clutch lever right? There's no bypassing necessary... simply safety wire the white switch so it closes the circuit (or is it open [emoji848]?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wikit

Yep, that's the one. I just used a zip tie. Bike runs perfect now

This is the switch that would plug into the clutch lever right? There's no bypassing necessary... simply safety wire the white switch so it closes the circuit (or is it open [emoji848]?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk