New Wannabe

Bosco

Country flag
Hello RC owners. My name's Paul and in Omaha, NE. I'm a long time forum lurker but I think I'm finally decided an RC390. I'm looking to get back into track riding after a few years off and narrowed the candidate for a track bike to a Ninja 400, an R3 or an RC390. I had several track bikes including a 2005 Kawi ZX6-RR, a 2004 Gixxer 600, an 08 Ninja 250 and a Ninja 300. Of those, the Ninja 250 was the most fun with the ZX6-RR being a close second. For sure the small displacement bikes is where the fun is for me. I like the RC390 for the next one because it seems the most sport/track focused. I've read about the issues but I hope to luck out along with doing some of the mods I've read about on this forum (power commander, fan swap, etc...) that may address some of those issues. I've got my eye out for a used/crashed bike but also checked with the local dealer who has new 2017's for right around 5K out the door. Read a post on this site where some dealers were offering left overs for $4,500...guess I'll keep looking for a bit since we still in the throws of winter. Anyway, thought I'd say hi.

Bosco

Country flag
Wannabe no more. Picked up this new 2017 model today.

IMG_2076_zpspvvvgvmx.jpg

IMG_2075_zpspbk98bgt.jpg

IMG_2080_zpsmvnqin40.jpg

I haven't actually ridden it at all yet but I'm digging the look and feel of the bike. Plan on taking it out for a little spin tomorrow weather permitting. I put in a couple of bolts for some temporary swingarm spools and had to run a tap through one of the bungs. The threads was all goobered up with something.

Tom

They are very impressive bikes for the price point and displacement. Start a thread in the general discussion once you take it for a spin, make a wish list of what you want improved, and we can point you on how to make it happen. The aftermarket support for these bikes is unrivaled.

Bosco

Country flag
They are very impressive bikes for the price point and displacement. Start a thread in the general discussion once you take it for a spin, make a wish list of what you want improved, and we can point you on how to make it happen. The aftermarket support for these bikes is unrivaled.

Agree...based on the spec sheet, appears you get a lot for your money. I usually stick to used bikes (the one and only new bike I ever bought previous to this was a 2002 ZX-9R) but in this case, kicking in a little bit more $$ got me a new RC.

I've got one exactly like that and I'm getting my first tire change tomorrow. It's my first bike and I think you'll love it.

Might I suggest getting orange levers? I did so and it adds a really nice touch of orange to the dash area

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bosco

Country flag
Since this will end up a track-only bike, I really won't be making many aesthetic upgrades. Only ones I've done on previous track bikes were stickers and rim decals. First things I plan on changing are for motor longevity: PCV (on the way), SPAL fan, 1.6 bar radiator cap, and whatever else I learn of on this forum. Then it's on to suspension, brakes, controls and bodywork.

Hope that's right and the thought did push me to the newer model but I have seen post with people running into issues.
Interesting. I haven't been on here in a while so I didn't notice any posts of people running into problems. I don't take mine to the track (yet). I just ride on the street and I like the looks of the newer model better anyways.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk