Race / Track Report

fos373

Hey Everybody!

Just a 1st race / track report from this weekend. Drove 15-ish hours from Colorado to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for Round 6 with the KTM. As I'd never been on this track nor had really ridden the KTM hard on a real track (only been on the go-kart track with it) I didn't have any expectations other than getting comfortable and doing some testing. Due to some scheduling errors on my part I didn't do the Friday track day and just went into the race weekend. A couple of practices before the racing began on Saturday morning.

I have most of the race parts on, including:
  • rotor
  • eliminated the abs and ran direct brake lines
  • Woodcraft 51mm clip ons
  • Race windscreen
  • Fuel Exhaust (more about this below........)
  • belly pan
  • Race tail
  • KTM Rear Sets
  • Mounted Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa V2
    • F: 110/70/17 / SC1
    • R: 150/60/17 / SC1

Chuckwalla is a flowing 17 turn track in the California desert and we ran it clockwise (it can be run both ways). There's a lot of double apex turns, relatively flat and not of reference points. Weather topped out in the low 90's on both days.

Overall - the bike ran great. It feels like it needs another 100rpm or so on the rev limiter. Definitely need to change the sprockets. As I'd never been on the track nor run the bike hard I was more trying to get the feel of how it felt and working on different lines so I wasn't worried about my results. The Pirelli's hooked up well.

As, I've mentioned in other posts RG3 did some suspension work including changing the front oil weight and level and re shimming the rear. I started Saturday in the middle setting on the rear and was pogo-ing a little and backed it off one setting and this eliminated the effect.

Sunday I pushed the pace more - the KTM pulls on the current class of 300's on the straights easily.

One issue I had was with the Fuel exhaust system. As we were running clockwise, there are more rights than left. As I started to push more, I started to hear an odd sound in the right turns. I knew I wasn't scrapping the pegs and was wondering if there was something in the suspension that was flexing. When I came into pit I noticed what it was. See the pictures below and you will notice that I've now scrapped a hole in the exhaust. Pictures are above how it sits and below where the hole is. I will need to figure something out - most likely something that comes straight out and mount the can high vs the down and up. I have the Akra, but will likely just sell it.

There was a LOT of interest in the bike. I was answering questions on it both days from a wide variety of riders including the parents of the kids racing in the Cup series.

Special thanks for TZMike who came down and brought some extra water (and a folding chair......)

I have the Street legal version Fuel pipe on mine but being a slightly older bugger don't have the urge to tip it over so far so no scrapes on mine - Are you happy with the performance and sound from your Fuel pipe? Did you have any remapping done when you fitted the fuel pipe?

Cheers

fos373

KwicK - didn't remap just did the ecu reset and it ran fine. Very happy with the performance. Love the sound. We have the same version - I don't think (or know is the better word) if there's a track version.

What's your definition of slightly older!?!!??? I'm 42... Some of the best guys in our club over 50.... And there are some really fast young guys too!

fos373 Yea the Fuel pipes do sound great in the carbon version the higher the rev the better the sound :) - Slightly older = 50 but in saying that I leave my full on 20 year old mode for free riding in the surf on my stand up jet ski I find water softer then- tar seal !!!!
I did the same with my pipe had the ecu reset but still had a few rough patches with idle so did the 15 minute idle thing and it made a big difference.

Ausracer

Hi New from Aus, struggling with the computer stuff, but not the bike stuff.

Great thread thanks for the pics. Modifying bike for racing as Motorcycling Australia pen stroked it out of 250-500 production class for Aust Titles.

Can someone start a "race" thread happy to share info.

Question1. Bypass ABS rehose fron master cylinders to callipers, speedo doesn't work (OK for race)

Question 2. Any one make aftermarket race fairing yet. If not anyone interested?

Bypass side stand switch with 3.9K resistoe (2.1V into ECU)

s30series

Does the scrape on the pipe go all the way through? I just ordered one :)

I don't really plan on tracking the bike..do you think it will scrape going on mountain runs and such? Or will it only scrape at extreme angles...as in knee on the ground angle?

b0Xcrash

Hey Everybody!

Just a 1st race / track report from this weekend. Drove 15-ish hours from Colorado to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for Round 6 with the KTM. As I'd never been on this track nor had really ridden the KTM hard on a real track (only been on the go-kart track with it) I didn't have any expectations other than getting comfortable and doing some testing. Due to some scheduling errors on my part I didn't do the Friday track day and just went into the race weekend. A couple of practices before the racing began on Saturday morning.

I have most of the race parts on, including:

• Woodcraft 51mm clip ons

Yeah maybe some more pictures of the bike showing the rest of the bits on it. I was curious about some clip ons, could find the size, but that upper triple has the bars mounted to it, so removing them kind of leaves the mounting hole "wings"
And with that being said, more responsive and flick with the clip ons? Is it alot more noticeable? I think the answer is yes based on past exp, but I wonder on this bike KTM got the geometry right the way they built it.....cause the cup bike appears to have the same triples and bars.

Also where the fuel can mounts is it under the pan or on the underside, is there connection there where it clamps? I wonder if you loosen that you could turn the can up at a more aggressive angle that would give the clearance where its scrapping?(so the exhaust tip is more near the tail)
Of course you would have to rethink the mounting clamp on the passenger rearset

Last edited:

SPG

So, not to ask silly questions... But how do you not set your leg on fire with that exhaust placement?

-Sean

Attachments

• LegKTM.jpg
    LegKTM.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 93
  • Leg4KTM.jpg
    Leg4KTM.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

micahpearlman

Regarding running clip-ons I don't feel any difference in flickability. The biggest reason I put them on was I didn't want a busted top triple from a simple low side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketracer11

Details on how you accomplished that?

Welder friend removed existing pipe and built his own... Tucked it in and attached his own heat shield to it... Picture doesn't do it justice, I know it looks like your leg will hit it but it doesn't at all. I wanted to use the footpeg existing mount hole otherwise he was going to mount it a bit higher and build a bracket. I'm very happy with outcome... Installed quickshifter today... Be on track at 8 am :) goodnight world