Radiator cap failure?

cornerslider

Maybe this has already been covered. If so, I apologize...... I've heard a lot about radiator cap failures on the RC. How will I know if mine is failing? Seems like my fan has been running more than normal. I have plenty of coolant I the reservoir. Not sure what's going on? Anybody got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjtard

I recommend just buying the 1.6 cap from MNNTHBX regardless....I put the Samco hose kit on (street opt), 1.6 Cap, removed rubber that covers top of engine, and removed the rad shroud. I'm not sure on what's responsible,,,,,just notice the fan runs less and temp gauge never creeps up like it use to....esp in traffic!!

cornerslider

I recommend just buying the 1.6 cap from MNNTHBX regardless....I put the Samco hose kit on (street opt), 1.6 Cap, removed rubber that covers top of engine, and removed the rad shroud. I'm not sure on what's responsible,,,,,just notice the fan runs less and temp gauge never creeps up like it use to....esp in traffic!!

Thanks for the input.... I'm going to do ALL of that-

jjtard

Thanks for the input.... I'm going to do ALL of that-

btw, one other thing...I'm not racing so I used a good brand motorcycle coolant. I did however add more distilled water to the ratio. Probably around 40% coolant 60% distilled water. I don't wanna start another topic on coolant options, just what I had done.

cornerslider

Thank you to all that replied.... I ordered, and received the 1.6 bar radiator cap from MNNTHBX. I got in like two days!!!!! As soon as I got it, I couldn't wait to see what I found...... From what I can tell, my radiator cap has been failing for the last 600-700 miles? (That's when I noticed temps rising, and my fan running more frequently). When I removed the radiator cap, the radiator was only about half full, which would explain the fan running more frequently.... I topped off both the radiator, and the reservoir, checked the oil condition (for coolant - indicating a blown head gasket). The oil was crystal-clear!!!! I went for about a ten mile ride, and my fan did NOT kick on, and the temp gauge was one bar lower than I've seen in weeks! I have ordered a SPAL 5.2 inch puller fan, and a jug of "Engine Ice". I have a track day next weekend, and plan to run it "as is", and plan to add the SPAL fan & "Engine Ice" after my track day. With all the posts on this site about the heat that the RC produces, I feel better knowing that even with the radiator about half full..... The bike did NOT overheat, and did NOT warp the the head, and did NOT blow the head gasket.... With all the negativity surrounding this bike on this site, I feel confident that KTM builds a good/reliable product (I know I just jinxed myself) But, right now- I'm genuinely happy with my bike :cool: