rear brake cable is melting... help

rydog86

not sure this is the right section but here goes...

after getting home from work i was inspecting my bike to find that one of the rear brake cables has melted onto the exhaust system as it was touching it.

Does anyone know how big of a problem this is? I intend to look it up in the manual but wanted to see what people thought. I got the bike from new, have only had it about a month and its only covered a thousand miles having recently had it's first service.

IMG_5563.jpgIMG_5567.jpgIMG_5566.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 216

guzz46

Your cable routing is different from mine, mine goes on the outside of the frame just below the rear brake reservoir, maybe try and cable tie it against the frame so its against the rear brake reservoir, and it appears to be the rear ABS cable that's melted, not the actual rear brake line.

MrGrody

My wiring is also different. It is ran outside of frame which keeps it away from heat. I'd suggest rerouting it or zip tie it against frame.

1856f400813f1295aa83a0e281e53a9f.jpg

1c9da423ea60f0cee6af42a7e4f93cd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

guzz46

[That'sE=MrGrody;6723]My wiring is also different. It is ran outside of frame which keeps it away from heat. I'd suggest rerouting it or zip tie it against frame.

1856f400813f1295aa83a0e281e53a9f.jpg

1c9da423ea60f0cee6af42a7e4f93cd8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That's what mine was like, except I've now cable tied it to the outside of rear brake reservoir right by the bolt to prevent it from rubbing any paint off the frame.

Last edited:

rydog86

thanks for your responses. I don't know much about the mechanical side of bikes yet but yeh its the wheel sensor cable. Mine was definitely wired inside of the frame when i've got it as shown in the pics and you can just make out in one of the pics how it has melted through. Think the ABS still works, will test today but no warning light has come on so i'm assuming so. Either way this is a brand new bike and I want to keep it in good nic. Plus I wouldn't want to mess with re attaching the ABS cable to the rear sensor. Whats the consencus this is a warranty issue and should be sorted by KTM?

MrGrody

thanks for your responses. I don't know much about the mechanical side of bikes yet but yeh its the wheel sensor cable. Mine was definitely wired inside of the frame when i've got it as shown in the pics and you can just make out in one of the pics how it has melted through. Think the ABS still works, will test today but no warning light has come on so i'm assuming so. Either way this is a brand new bike and I want to keep it in good nic. Plus I wouldn't want to mess with re attaching the ABS cable to the rear sensor. Whats the consencus this is a warranty issue and should be sorted by KTM?
Possibly show u r dealer and show the pics we posted. I'd imagine it would be covered if it was ran incorrectly. Worst case is they say no lol. Then don't have them touch the bike.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk