Rear Shock upgrade

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So the short answer here is that standard yellow spring on the R6 won't work because the R6 used a lever in it's swingarm connection... So even tho it weighed more, it has a lighter spring. The RC390 has a traditional straight connection between the frame and swingarm, so that's why we need a heavier spring for a lighter bike.

The RaceTech SRSP 5815116*11.6kg spring should work for riders between 160# and 230#. Lighter riders will just use less preload. Over 230# a rider should get the next size up which is the SRSP 5815125 12.5kg spring.

The threaded preload adjuster is required, but that's what gives you such range of rider weights for a given spring rate. The primary issue most heavier riders face is having a spring with is too light. That's the "under sprung, over damped" problem. So we have to set the preload on the spring to maximum, and it's still not enough, so we then jack the dampening to max also. Resulting in a bike that still handles like dog doo. Going with a heavier spring allows you to set the preload correctly, and then key dampening adjustments do what they are supposed to do, rather than trying to cope with an inadequate spring. :)

fs1ephil

Im running the yellow spring and have no issues at all with plenty of adjustment left either way.
I am 13.5 stone the original shock was like a pogo stick on and off the accelerator through the gears.
I used to ride a 2001 yzf r6 which i bought new and my mate would borrow it and he's 16 stone and loved the handling
of my bike. If the r6 shock is in good condition fit it and try it id say. It worked good enough on the r6 which weighed 35kg more
Its cost me £38 fitted and i am more than happy.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Im running the yellow spring and have no issues at all with plenty of adjustment left either way.
I am 13.5 stone the original shock was like a pogo stick on and off the accelerator through the gears.
I used to ride a 2001 yzf r6 which i bought new and my mate would borrow it and he's 16 stone and loved the handling
of my bike. If the r6 shock is in good condition fit it and try it id say. It worked good enough on the r6 which weighed 35kg more
Its cost me £38 fitted and i am more than happy.

13.5 stone... that's what... 190 lbs in "real" weight? ;) Anyway, joking aside, you are certainly going to be under sprung with your weight. I'm not saying you can't get it to work, and even being as under sprung as you are it's likely indeed still an improvement over the utter trash the stock shock is... but you SHOULD be most likely running a 11.6kg spring on there... a 10.7kg might be acceptable but I also personally tend toward having a little extra spring and going lighter on the preload. The stock yellow spring is only a 9.3 kg/mm rate. You are going to need a LOT of preload to make that work for you correctly, at which point you are back into the "under spring, over damped" realms... again. Will it handle better than the stock shock? Almost certainly. Will it handle as well as it should, nope, not yet.

Diploman

The RaceTech SRSP 5815116*11.6kg spring should work for riders between 160# and 230#. Lighter riders will just use less preload. Over 230# a rider should get the next size up which is the SRSP 5815125 12.5kg spring.

:)
Matt, I am about to order a spring for my R6 shock, but need a clarification: You recently made the above recommendation for a RaceTech spring for the R6 shock. Looking at the RaceTech shock chart, however, the SRSP 5815116 is listed as 152mm in length. Measuring the yellow spring on the R6 shock, I get 165mm with the preload ramp adjuster at the most relaxed position - obviously, the spring's unloaded length is greater than 165mm, so it is hard to see how the 152mm length 5815 series could fit the R6 shock.

Moving down the chart, next comes the SRSP5818 series, listed at 178mm length. It seems to me that this must be the correct spring, as the length looks appropriate. The heaviest spring in this series is 11.6kg. But since you mentioned moving up to a 12.5kg for a heavier rider, (which would only be available from the 5815 series) I am confused as to which spring series you recommend. The Race Tech site says the Gen 1 R6 shock takes a 5818 spring. Please clarify. Thanks.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Matt, I am about to order a spring for my R6 shock, but need a clarification: You recently made the above recommendation for a RaceTech spring for the R6 shock. Looking at the RaceTech shock chart, however, the SRSP 5815116 is listed as 152mm in length. Measuring the yellow spring on the R6 shock, I get 165mm with the preload ramp adjuster at the most relaxed position - obviously, the spring's unloaded length is greater than 165mm, so it is hard to see how the 152mm length 5815 series could fit the R6 shock.

Moving down the chart, next comes the SRSP5818 series, listed at 178mm length. It seems to me that this must be the correct spring, as the length looks appropriate. The heaviest spring in this series is 11.6kg. But since you mentioned moving up to a 12.5kg for a heavier rider, (which would only be available from the 5815 series) I am confused as to which spring series you recommend. The Race Tech site says the Gen 1 R6 shock takes a 5818 spring. Please clarify. Thanks.

You are forgetting that you also need to use the threaded preload adjuster. That allows you to run the spring at the correct preload then for the given spring length.

This is what it ends up looking like once you have the threaded preload adjuster on with the correct RT spring.
R6_Swap_Build.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You bet. I'm a RaceTech reseller so if I can help you with your build just let me know. :) {shameless plug} LOL