Regretting the RC390

Los17rc390

Loved the bike till first service then it’s been plagued by problems. Couple days after the service it over heated to max bars and and left stranded on side of freeway. Never did it it again. Now it starts when it feels like it, but then dies at random stop lights. Have it plugged into a tender, but says low battery after I attempt to restart it. Gave me engine light saying low oil pressure and abs can failure. Thinking I should of just got a reliable proven 600 class. Anyone else having problems?? I can’t take it to my nearest dealer which is 32 miles away unless I load it which I don’t have access to easily. Yet I’m lucky cause I have the 2 year warranty on it. END RANT.

cameronc56

sounds like they messed up on the first service from the oil pressure. check your oil bolts? maybe something isn't torqued

make sure your side stand is bolted down, sometimes the vibrations make the bike think the side stand is going down at lights and it stalls.

As for the overheating its a common issue, could get the spal fan, upgraded oem radiator from the race bike, engine ice, PCV (if your dealer is chill about it not ruining the warranty) etc etc. lots of fixes for the heating issues, unfortunately you might just have to keep bringing it in all the time if you can't upgrade the cooling system. these issues are why I got the 5 year warranty

Los17rc390

Took it to a different service company to see what they say. Also not sure why it changed to abs but it said can ems failure. When they plugged in the diagnostic tool it only showed the can ems and not the oils pressure issue. They have a 2017 r6 for 8k before fees and going back today to get that instead. If these few problems started at less than 1200 miles, I’m not thrilled to keep riding it. It was a fun bike when it worked but they said it can take up to a few weeks.

Los17rc390

Been at a big box service/sales center for 2 weeks as of today. Using this as a form of documentation tool, once it’s been in shop 30 days I may go the route of lemon. I call KTM and they call me back 5 minutes before closing hours, seem to miss call so they leave voicemail. I did however hear from sevice rep that it’s a crankshaft position sensor. They submitted it all to KTM and the will be shipping parts “soon” no date given as to when soon is. Also asked if they could rush it and KTM denied that. Guess this has never been an issue with the RC so no one could order/find new sensor except KTM. They also would not disclose where the part would be coming from so could be the bajajaja warehouse. Tried asking if they would put in spal fan since over heating issue was submitted as well but only OEM parts can go in, same goes for engine ice. Not sure if a crank shaft position sensor would keep bike from firing up, what do you guys thank about all this non sense. Also put 500 down on white/silver with fluorescent green/yellow rims.

Chuditch

If you are talking about a Crank angle sensor, then yes it definitely would stop a motor from running if it was effed.

The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. This method is also used to "synchronise" a four stroke engine upon starting, allowing the management system to know when to inject the fuel. It is also commonly used as the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute. (Wiki)

Los17rc390

Sorry it’s been awhile since I replied. From what service rep told me he said it’s a crankshaft position sensor. They still have the bike and waiting on a new sensor to arrive from KTM. I’ve talked with them and said once it’s been there 30 days I’m going the route of it being a lemon and will no longer take bike back. KTM can hash it out with lawyer and give me funds back on top of car rental I’ve had.