Simplifying Disassembly

mattv

Country flag
Looking for advice on how to simplify the process of removing fairings and fuel tank.

Are aftermarket/race fairings faster to take off?

Can quarter turn fasteners be adapted to this bike?

Is there a fuel cap that comes off easier than the stock one with like 10 allen bolts on it?

Any way to avoid having to loosen up the battery box and lift the tank off the posts? I was thinking of cutting the circular mounting holes on the fuel tank so it can slip out from under the battery box.

Yeah, I'm lazy =)

green_bread

Country flag
Through the process of doing it several times, Ive figured out that there are several fasteners that dont NEED to be there and that does cut a few min off the tear down process. That being said, you will notice some more rattles, so if that bothers you, probably best to stick with keeping everything fastened.

Quarter turn fasteners can be used anywhere there is a "threaded clip"... like the ones on the side of the battery box, for instance.

I use a cheap ebay keyless fuel cap on my race bike. It only uses 3 allens.

mattv

Country flag
Good info, thanks. I'm going to try one of the ebay 3 allen gas caps for sure.

On your race bike, have you done anything to make the fuel tank easier to remove? I hate the loosen up battery box, lift tank off posts, crawl around on the ground to find the rubber grommet that fell out, etc. dance.

I'm thinking of either cutting the plastic on the battery box by the fuel tank mounting posts or cutting the mounting holes on the fuel tank itself.

green_bread

Country flag
The battery box, to me, is the biggest pain to deal with. I think I only put the nuts back on the posts that stick up and that was enough to hold it in place. So I have to remove the battery, then I can get to those 2 nuts, and the whole battery box just kind of flips forward. I cant remember if you have to remove the tank cover before that, or not. Luckily, its been a little while since Ive had to be in there!

m3hl

Country flag
At risk of getting flamed: Have you had good luck with the cheap fuel cap? I've been dying to get rid of my stocker.

mdabyo

Country flag
i took the lip iff the gas tank fairing so it slides over the gas cap. no loner need to remove the cap. took 10 seconds with a grinder.

green_bread

Country flag
Ive had great luck with the eBay one I use. The only thing is that the little "bar" on the cap is longer on one side than the other, so the cap only goes on one way and the little KTM logo is upside down. That is the biggest issue Ive had with it. LOL!