So Sad..no KTM in the provisional list for Supersport 300

Andy

Country flag
Covers Yamaha and Kawasaki 300s, the KTM 390 and Honda 500.

Only seen Yamaha and Kawasaki entries at mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micahpearlman

It's a 300 class anything over that shouldn't be in it...

2.7.2 Eligible Machines
The class will be based around the machines sold in Europe as A2 classmachines and excluding the A1 class machines. The Superbike Commission hasthe right to decide which machines will eligible in the class.
For 2017 the following will be legal (this list can be amended at any time by theSuperbike Commission):
Honda CBR500R
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF)

Yamaha YZF-R3
KTM RC390

edderz 33

Atm, 35 riders registered and 20 of them are using Yamaha R3 (FYI Yamaha R3 is a 321cc bike).
I thought Ashton Yates would prefer RC390 as he raced in RC Cup but unfortunately he also chooses the blue side. I wonder why?

from my experience racing with RC250, the bike is currently is fully tuned in std form while japanese bike ie Kawasaki 250SL (250cc single bore with similar bore and stroke as RC250) has plenty of power you can squeeze with only exhaust upgrade and ecu tuning. On the spec sheet, seems that RC has the advantages over the SL (on the std factory form), but on the track is vise versa.

Just compare the weight (all in weight with liquid in racing form meaning no headlight and etc) between RC and SL
RC will weight circa 150kg
While SL, only weight 140kg..some show less by another 2kg

10kg different which equivalent to circa 3hp advantages over RC.

Andy

Country flag
Also the RC is run in a stand alone series across the world, bikes with race kit are all taken for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green_bread

Country flag
My best guess as to why there are no RC 390s is the single cylinder vs twin cylinder engine dynamics. Though the two make close to the same peak HP, its how they make the power that is drastically different. The KTM makes its peak HP, then starts dropping off the closer you get to redline. With the parallel twin motors, they make their power closer to redline and (most of the time) they keep pulling all the way to the rev limiter. When youre racing these bikes, they are constantly in the upper RPMs, close to redline. Therefore, the twins have a little bit of a power advantage, despite the fact that the peak HP numbers are similar.

If you want some visual representation of this, just watch the race videos on my YouTube page and watch how much the orange Ninja reels me in down the straights: https://www.youtube.com/user/gr33nbr3adracing

edderz 33

If you go through the regulation, each type of bikes will have specific regulation i.e. min weight, max rev and etc. they will have random dyno as well immediately after the race as part of the scrutineering process to make sure all bikes are on the same level. They also need to use official electronics supply by the organizer and bla bla bla.
at the end, 390 should be at least competitive with R3 given the handling of RC is better than R3. But unfortunately, no KTM this year!

If i remember correctly, twin cylinder engine max rev is 13,000 while RC390 is 10,500. Of course KTM can negotiate to have slightly higher max rpm if the bike is proven is not competitive especially in term of power to weight ratio.

Ausracer

Hi, When the class was first announced I looked at the rules as I'm sure a few others have. Why no KTM entered ?. Its probably a bad bet in the class. I agree with Green-Bread single VS twin, but here's a few other factors.

First issue will be what the rules allow on the air intake, with the required restrictions the KTM will struggle to make competitive HP. Put that down to design.

Second look at the specs for the standard bikes. Weight, KTM is quoted DRY, Yamaha R3 is quoted WET, Do a quick calc and work out the KTMs WET weight.
I don't think the weights in the class rules will even up the KTM. Horse Power, I could be wrong but I'll bet KTM quotes at the crank and the Japanese quote rear wheel, quite a difference on a small capacity bike.

Lastly the circuits the series will run on, as Green-Bread alluded to, the advantage of a decent single has always been drive out of corners, long fast straights will favour a twin in high rpm speed.

Lets be optimistic I hope someone enters one and proves me wrong.

micahpearlman

I would also guess sponsorship/money being a factor and KTM and/or its dealers not stepping up. Just wild speculation though.