Stabilizer necessary?

pudley

Just curious to hear from guys who track their RC390's... is a steering stabilizer necessary on these bikes? I'm sure it depends on track and how hard you are riding, but it seems a lot of the cup bikes don't have them so I assume they are probably not as important as on a bigger bike?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It is definitely NOT needed. All the guys that have to have them to pass tech dislike them. I modify the GPR ones to make them better but still way too much internal resistance drag. I drill a bleed hole in the wiper and change fluid weight. Beware they will not fit directly on the Driven top triple. You have to add a spacer in between triple and the damper (for the body to clear) and spacers to the raise up the pin holder to match. The oem steering stem bolt is long enough to reuse. I have a made a couple sets of spacers.

green_bread

Country flag
I have raced my RC for two years with no stabilizer and I will 100% agree with Chad... NOT NEEDED. The only time I could see needing one, at all, would be on a kart track where youre coming out of corners in 1st gear and flopping from side to side quickly. Thats a pretty damn specific instance, I think, and one you will most likely not find yourself in if I had to guess.

karizzle38

bumping this one to the top to see if others have different opinions out there?

my setup is a track only 2015 with andreani front fork and ohlins kt303 rear shock running dunlop alpha 13's. the bike has been set up for my weight and suspension tuned multiple times by my preferred trackside suspension guy. i love the flickability from left to right of this bike right now. however, once i'm midturn the bike feels like it wants to lose the front (i realize trail braking has a lot to do with this, but even when i don't trail brake i still get this sensation).

i was just wondering if anyone that has run both with and without the steering dampers has noticed any change in steering/grip stability midturn? or is this just something that needs to be further tuned out in terms of compression/rebound of the front forks?