Sticky Throttle (ride by wire)

skaragianis

I picked up a new 2017 last week. Build date December 2016. That's all that's available in Australia.

My throttle was sticking and jumpy. A warranty item but half the fun is getting in and doing things yourself imo. Bit of a risk, just like riding on our roads :p

My throttle is now smooth and buttery. It wasn't the throttle tube but actually the ride by wire sensor. Go figure.

Here's what I did:

1. Remove the bar end
  2. Open the up throttle switchgear housing (what is that called?) using the 2 screws from the bottom
  3. Snip the cable tie holding the throttle cabling to the bar (you'll probably want to replace afterwards, but this gives needed wiggle room later)
  4. Open up the top of the throttle switchgear housing and carefully flip it up and towards the front of the bike
  5. Identify the white switch gear that's wrapped around your handlebar (ride by wire sensor)
  6. Un-clip the spring on the white switch gear (ride by wire sensor). It isn't hard to re-attach later so don't worry
  7. Confirm that moving the white switch gear manually isn't smooth (so not a throttle tube problem)
  8. Undo the 2 screws that hold the white switch gear to the throttle switch gear housing (screws facing up)
  9. Remove the throttle tube
  10. Undo the 2 screws on the back of the white switch gear (ride by wire). I don't recommend you unplug it, just be careful you don't strip the screws undoing them. This is why you undo it and remove the throttle tube, so you can get it into a decent angle
  11. Take your graphite squirter and put some graphite into the opened white switch gear housing
  12. Optionally put graphite onto the bar and into the throttle tube (it was definitely the ride by wire sensor that was causing the grabbing for me)
  13. Reverse and enjoy!

It will drop graphite from the switchgear housing with use. Eventually it stops :p

I don't know how long it will last, but given the ride by wire sensor is enclosed I'm hoping a long time. No negative impact to the operation of the ride by wire sensor either.

Your mileage may vary but I thought I'd share. MASSIVE improvement for me.