Tail section - survey of build options

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So I wanted to be able to try and have a quick survey to help steer development to serve the community desires. Obviously not every configuration can be made (at least not economically) so some priority calls must be made. To do that tho, community feedback is welcome.

First: If you were replacing your tail section, what would your preferred choice for build option be:
1 - cup style with 1/2" foam pad which is glued down by you. This would also allow you to double or even triple the foam if desired, or none.
2 - cup race style, foam pad, but with ability to bolt on the factory taillights.
3 - cup style, which allows a factory seat to be used, no tail light support integrated. (Aka I'm a racer, but give me my cushy seat back)
4 - cup style, factory seat, and tail lights
5 - stock tail, allowing factory seat and lights (basic complete copy)
6 - stock tail - No integrated support for the taillights.

Second: which material would you want it made out of?
F - Fiberglass
C - Carbon Fiber

Third: use application?
S - Street
T - Street, with some occasional trackdays/racing so you need lights occasionally on and off
R - Race bike

Fourth: Likely to purchase?
$! - Take my money! Only if you build the config I'm wanting exactly
$? - ready to purchase, option I want isn't available yet but I'd consider alternative (if so, what)
M - may purchase, not exactly sure when
N - topic interests me, but no plans to update unless necessary, like repair of damage and would prefer option is available at that time

Thanks y'all!

As reference, currently the configuration of cup tail, no lights, in carbon or fiberglass is available. Prices are $270 carbon, $133 fiberglass. These price points would likely be quite similar between the street vs cup configurations.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Photos of config example choices:

1CR: Cup race style, no factory seat or lights support integrated into design, carbon fiber.
uploadfromtaptalk1453286453844.jpg

1FR: Cup race style, no factory seat or lights, fiberglass.
uploadfromtaptalk1453286552237.jpg

5FS: Stock style, accepts lights and factory seat.
13226560f4c605db2f82df41e2636763.jpg

Last edited:

SWdragon

Country flag
I would like cup style (glue on foam) with ability to bolt on factory lights, carbon fiber, street use. I am likely to purchase but what to see how taillight looks. If taillight stays in the original position from the factory I'll buy it today.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I would like cup style (glue on foam) with ability to bolt on factory lights, carbon fiber, street use. I am likely to purchase but what to see how taillight looks. If taillight stays in the original position from the factory I'll buy it today.

Ok so SWdragon, am I correct then in staying you are looking for the 2CS$! option.

The intent is that any integration with lights (or seat) would retain the factory location and parts.

Last edited:

Andy

Country flag
The cup seat unit is ok but I prefer the single tail seat that follows the shape of the original pillion and allows you to keep the lights and seat.

Carbon fibre does look good but of course Fibreglass keeps the bank manager happy!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I think option 4 makes the most sense for street riders, would be in for a set of fiberglass.
That's the least likely of the options as getting the factory seat to work with the rest of the tail would be quite difficult. Most likely it would end up being options 2 & 5. The others are possible, maybe, but if the market days it wants otherwise then it'll have to be researched.

I think folks who are wanting to continue using the factory seat are a bit nuts. The things a brick! Of course I haven't tried the power parts seat either. Maybe that thing is a bit more tolerable. I figured when I put the carbon tail on the Formula390 test mule, I'd just put down two layers of the seat pad. That has GOT to be more comfortable than the stock seat... :) LOL

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The cup seat unit is ok but I prefer the single tail seat that follows the shape of the original pillion and allows you to keep the lights and seat.

Carbon fibre does look good but of course Fibreglass keeps the bank manager happy!
Would you be painting the tail yourself then? Fiberglass parts come ready for paint, but are primarily aimed at racers who (typically) do their own painting. A lot of auto paint houses now will custom mix paint and put it in a rattle can, making doing professional looking paint jobs a bit easier, without having the full blown equipment of a HVLP sprayer or the clean up after. It's not QUITE as good, but looks better than krylon... usually. I've seen some STUNNING work done with regular hardware store rattle cans too.

The reason I ask is, from most of my conversations with street riders, it's looking like carbon fiber ends up being cheaper when total cost is calculated including fiberglass and paint, vs carbon. Those who do their own paint can typically get the price down under carbon, especially if you already own the professional sprayer (and know how to use it). As such I've been trying to stock more carbon fiber parts, as that's what the street riders seem to be buying.

psych0hans

Country flag
That's the least likely of the options as getting the factory seat to work with the rest of the tail would be quite difficult. Most likely it would end up being options 2 & 5. The others are possible, maybe, but if the market days it wants otherwise then it'll have to be researched.

I think folks who are wanting to continue using the factory seat are a bit nuts. The things a brick! Of course I haven't tried the power parts seat either. Maybe that thing is a bit more tolerable. I figured when I put the carbon tail on the Formula390 test mule, I'd just put down two layers of the seat pad. That has GOT to be more comfortable than the stock seat... :) LOL

It's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those... Lol also my seat has had gel padding added to it, so It's no longer a brick. For me the biggest attraction is the tool kit which goes below the seat, I would like to keep access to that nice and simple, just like stock.

Ok to keep things simple and following your format 5CS$? (Alternative would be 5FS) IMO these two options would be the best for us street riders - This way the unused padded rear section is now a solid piece of art work :) I would purchase straight away

Not sure about other countries but here in Australia by removing the padded rear tail makes it a solo bike and hence cuts the yearly registration down heaps .

tecknojoe

Country flag
guess I'll repost this here:

1CR$! - will be ordering soon

A note about paint:
I've done a few sets of fairings with krylon over the last few years. Below is an upper for my R6 that I did this summer. I'd say it's roughly 3 hours for that ONE fairing (that includes sanding off the old paint). It takes a LOT of work to get it right, and more money than you think. In the end, I probably could have paid someone and it would have cost roughly the same amount of money, and less 3 hours of my time. This isn't even finished yet either. I could sand and polish as well, to give it a good shine, which will take another couple hours.

So when I see a carbon piece for the 390 for ~$100 more, I just go with carbon. I won't have to bother painting, or paying someone to paint. It's stronger, more flexible, and more gangster. I'm just buying one piece at a time while I build up over the winter. After seeing the tyga carbon belly pan first hand, I highly recommend their carbon parts

btw - 2014 R6 for sale, great paint job!

IMG_2998.JPG

Last edited:

Hekimpd

4FS$? Money is always a factor. If not 5FS for sure.

BTW the power parts seat is super nice. Blows the factory POS out of the water. They should've just came with the power part seat in the first place.

Last edited:

psych0hans

Country flag
I think option 5 is already available in India. I'll look up the pics and post them here. One person on this forum already has it on his bike. Ray, I believe.

reenmachine

Country flag
So I wanted to be able to try and have a quick survey to help steer development to serve the community desires. Obviously not every configuration can be made (at least not economically) so some priority calls must be made. To do that tho, community feedback is welcome.

First: If you were replacing your tail section, what would your preferred choice for build option be:
1 - cup style with 1/2" foam pad which is glued down by you. This would also allow you to double or even triple the foam if desired, or none.
2 - cup race style, foam pad, but with ability to bolt on the factory taillights.
3 - cup style, which allows a factory seat to be used, no tail light support integrated. (Aka I'm a racer, but give me my cushy seat back)
4 - cup style, factory seat, and tail lights
5 - stock tail, allowing factory seat and lights (basic complete copy)
6 - stock tail - No integrated support for the taillights.

Second: which material would you want it made out of?
F - Fiberglass
C - Carbon Fiber

Third: use application?
S - Street
T - Street, with some occasional trackdays/racing so you need lights occasionally on and off
R - Race bike

Fourth: Likely to purchase?
$! - Take my money! Only if you build the config I'm wanting exactly
$? - ready to purchase, option I want isn't available yet but I'd consider alternative (if so, what)
M - may purchase, not exactly sure when
N - topic interests me, but no plans to update unless necessary, like repair of damage and would prefer option is available at that time

Thanks y'all!

As reference, currently the configuration of cup tail, no lights, in carbon or fiberglass is available. Prices are $270 carbon, $133 fiberglass. These price points would likely be quite similar between the street vs cup configurations.

Thanks for addressing all the options!

I've been asking for 5CT$! for a while, but given all the options I'd be quite tempted by 2CT, and if it were the only one you went with then I'd be $!.

EDIT: I'd be equally interested in 4, probably more than 5 even.

Last edited:

RobbiRob76

I'm going to make this easy... Either style, must be Carbon Fiber if you want my $$$, must accept tail light and turn signals, and Stock or my KTM Powerparts seat... Build it, and my money will be making skid marks into you bank account! Capiche'?