Two Stroke Style

ToraTora

Country flag
I think I probably would have stayed with the more stock bodywork, but I have to like what they did with the engine mod. :)

Apologies if this has been posted already. I did look around and search a bit first. :cool:

Attachments

• yamaha-rd350-inline3.jpg
    yamaha-rd350-inline3.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 1,203

Andy

Country flag
Is there any reason why on the stock 390 bike they didn't do an exhaust exiting under the engine, like a Moto 3. Presumably ground clearance and fitting a Cat?

micahpearlman

Having raced a vintage Yamaha TD3 with a seriously built RD350 motor I'm not so sure this is really an improvement over the standard 390 or the RD. Neat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToraTora

Country flag
You Still Can!

Heki,

They do still make them. I have a bunch of them. Aprilia still makes a two stroke RS4. Derbi until just recently made the GPR. These are amazing bikes with build quality well above what you'd expect in a small bike. True they are 50cc, but there are a lot of mods available, and the chassis can handle a whole lot more power. They are no longer imported into the States because Piaggio didn't feel there was a market--because small penis syndrome.

derbi-gpr-50.jpg

derbi-gpr-125-racing-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2015-aprilia-rs4-50-replica-ready-to-roll-photo-gallery_1.jpg

Muckabucka

Country flag
are those the little minarelli motors that were in the RS50? I had a couple of those that were kitted to 70ccs. Still couldn't get out of your own way on the darn things... Was fun though.

ToraTora

Country flag
Leegends

The Suter is a full on race bike made specifically for World GP Legends. They were racing vintage machines that people didn't want to destroy. So Suter built a "replica" that is the actually thing. ;) But it's not made for the street. :cool:

Suter-500-engine.jpg

ToraTora

Country flag
Thankfully no. The AM6 engine is okay, but it has plenty of issues. The new Aprilia runs a Derbi engine. Has a much better design, and there are much larger kits available today. You can, if you have the money to keep them running produce 32hp out of them. I tend to run them around 13 to 19hp, but I'm getting better at it so maybe more soon. ;)

The Derbi GPR125 came with a Yamaha engine in it, from their European devision.

ToraTora

Country flag
Is there any reason why on the stock 390 bike they didn't do an exhaust exiting under the engine, like a Moto 3. Presumably ground clearance and fitting a Cat?

I think the design choices for the 390 came from a whole different perspective. With no real desire to build something that would actually be raced.

It's really funny though how people do try to compare the 390 to the Moto3 bike when they are really very different animals. Well they are both orange. ;)

The Moto3 bikes actually run two pipes (yes they are singles). It would be really cool though if KTM did build a Replica like Derbi, and Aprilia did for their GP bikes.

ktm-moto3-1896.jpg

Last edited: