What side tank pads can you recommend?

thezidane

After my first track day with this bike I found myself sliding around quite a bit. I wondered what other riders have tried for tank pads to add grip. Any recommendations would be great, thanks!

cornerslider

I am going to post my new "Stomp Grip" tank grippers for sale tonight. They are brand new, in the sealed original package. I have been using this brand on several bikes, over many years. I ordered these last winter (before I even took possession of my 2016 RC). I ordered "Black" ones this time.... I figured black bike, why not get black grippers? Well, after I got my bike, I realized they would cover up the decal on the tank. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a little vain/anal-retentive. So much so, that I ordered the "clear" Stomp Grip pads to retain the tank decal (sigh).... If your not as "vain" as I am, you can have first dibs on the tank grippers for $25.00 shipped to your address. My loss is your gain- They retail everywhere for $50.00 a set. Let me know if your interested-

stevieboy

Country flag
I put the clear ones on too. But I would have used Tech Spec if they came in clear.

Last edited:

MrGrody

Ours are $13 KTM - MNNTHBX That said, there are several good options out there...
Hey mnnthbx. I still don't get the placement of the grips on the RC. In a lean and turn your outside thigh and knee are nowhere near that outside grip. And you inside knee and thigh are going to be pointed out. In a straight line maybe part of your knee touches it but wouldn't be necessary. The middle obviously will be plenty of love but why the location of the outside grips.

Thanks for the info.

big_sur

Hey mnnthbx. I still don't get the placement of the grips on the RC. In a lean and turn your outside thigh and knee are nowhere near that outside grip. And you inside knee and thigh are going to be pointed out. In a straight line maybe part of your knee touches it but wouldn't be necessary. The middle obviously will be plenty of love but why the location of the outside grips.

Thanks for the info.

The inside of your outside thigh is gripping the back of the tank in the turn which is where you get grip hanging off. The side grips correspond to the inside pivot of your knee, which you use to transition from turn to turn.

MrGrody

The inside of your outside thigh is gripping the back of the tank in the turn which is where you get grip hanging off. The side grips correspond to the inside pivot of your knee, which you use to transition from turn to turn.
Must be a different style as my inside knee doesn't touch the bike when switching to a new turn until it hits it's final position near the tank and becomes the outside knee. Or it's height. I don't know. Sure as hell ain't coming into any contact near that pad.

reenmachine

Country flag
I too use the clear Stomp Grips -- I think they're the ones listed for the RC8 although they may list them for the RC390 now. They work great.

thezidane

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll probably go with the clear Stomp Grips so as to not cover up the decals! I'll let you know how they are after my next track day.