white exhaust smoke

gk1985

Hi all, I noticed today that my rc 390 is emitting while smoke during startup, when in idle there is no smoke noticed but when I rev the engine in idle I see intermittent white smoke cloud( momentary bursts though) and after 5 minutes of idle things are normal. No smoke. I'm just wondering if its a cause of concern. I appreciate your inputs and suggestions on this. And its been less than a month since I received the bike, I have hardly taken 500 kms.

Ryanthegreat1

Is the weather cool there right now? Might just be condensation. Does the white smoke go away as the exhaust system gets hot?

gk1985

Thanks for the reply. No the average day temperature here is around 32 c its warm.and yes it goes away after idling for few minutes or few revs.

Last edited:

ArkansasDave

It's probably condensation, you can would look in the oil sight glass and see if it looks milky. If it looks normal you're fine.

sturge

I agree with above...check oil for water contamination (milky) but it sounds like condensation if it's 'burning off' after engine warms up. One other thing you can do is smell exhaust when the white smoke comes out...if it's coolant you should be able to smell it. I would keep a close eye on coolant level for awhile just to be sure. Good luck

gk1985

Checked the oil level its normal and there is no water contamination , it's looking normal. hmm regarding the smell i'm not sure if its the coolant. The coolant level is within the prescribed limit. Anyways i am visiting the service station , hopefully there is no problem! . By the way i'm sharing the pics of my RC
IMG_20150815_180042.jpgIMG_20150830_174047.jpgIMG-20150905-WA004.jpg

rideontt

Country flag
gk 1985

dont worry on white smoke.

1. Motorcycle was stored for more than 2-5 days and then started so the condensation in throttle body mixed with fuel goes through and goes away after some time once engine warms up

gk1985

Hey guys met the service personnel. There is no problem.
Rideontt yeah that could be the reason.
Thanks guys.

micah360

What's up with the rear fender thingy? Why is that required in India? Can you remove it without getting in trouble?

gk1985

Micah360 - haha good question, i don't know if that's due to some regulation they put it up, but i felt it's a definite eyesore . ..But some say it reduces the spray on the fellow riders behind while riding in rain. having said that i have seen some bikes without fender here in India .

Struge- thank you :)

Kevin

Check your PCV unit. The PCV unit on my duke390 cracked along the right wall. Its located to the right of the air intake, just under the air filter box.
I noticed a lot of smoke after a cold start (in the summer) after the crack developed.

The Mariner

What's up with the rear fender thingy? Why is that required in India?

I think it's a 'sari guard', a sari being the traditional South Asian women's garment. It helps keep the garment from getting caught in the chain/wheel when carrying a sari-wearing pillion.

I have the same issue now. I have given my bike to a service centre. When they checked the bike, they said that they hadn't noticed any smoke from exhaust. They said me to ride the bike for another 1000 km to check the vehicle. They asked me 25k to open my engine. I am bit confused what to do next. Please suggest me the next action to be done.