11.6 or 12.5 rear spring for 220 pound track rider? 15mm preload added to front 10w

Im in the process of setting up my bike for dedicated track day work

My first track day was with a stock standard bike apart from exhaust.

I had a great time feeling the bike out but with stock metzeler m5 tyres standard pads and suspension, pushing the boundaries wasnt on the menu

Im interested in hearing feedback from riders in the 220 pound weight range (includes riding gear) who are using the R6 shock with either the 11.6 or 12.5kg rear spring?

Is the 11.6 spring the way to go or would the 12.5 be a better option for track work?

I just pulled the forks down and installed an extra 15mm preload to stock springs (20mm total including 5mm stock spacer) and 10w oil, 135mm from top (450ml)
Checked to make sure spring wasnt binding at end of stroke. All good
This has given me a static sag of 15mm and 35mm with rider. Much better than the standard 52mm sag!

Definitely feels better and will test at the track this weekend with a new set of bridgestone RS10 hoops and ebc hh pads fitted as well.

Im thinking of going with 1.0 racetech front springs if the above mod is still too soft. Thoughts?

Still on standard rear with preload at setting 8 until I sort out which way to go with the R6 shock which I already have minus spring.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Last edited: