2 Sheets plywood workstand

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So many years ago I developed the plans for building a 2 sheets of plywood workstand. Having just done the oil change on the floor, my old man back was screaming at me so I figured I needed to drag out my workstand to do the valve adjustment... it got me thinking tho. Maybe I should post the link to the plans for others, just in case they don't know about the plans and don't already have a workstand.

Collapsible Motorcycle Workstand

FRLSSRZHPL6CFL6.MEDIUM.jpg

It folds down much smaller, and the ramp slides into the stand for storage, making it far smaller to store when not in use:
FMOBO6CHPL6CFL7.LARGE.jpg

As I said, it's just 2 sheets of plywood, and you can easily build it in about 2-3 hours with two sheets of plywood, a few hinges, basic woodworking tools, wood glue, and some screws. It brings the bike to a working height that's much easier on an OldFag back like mine, and I suspect a few others here would find it easy to build and is cheap and easy to knock together. I've had mine for 15 years now and it's still working great.

DCMoney

Country flag
So many years ago I developed the plans for building a 2 sheets of plywood workstand. Having just done the oil change on the floor, my old man back was screaming at me so I figured I needed to drag out my workstand to do the valve adjustment... it got me thinking tho. Maybe I should post the link to the plans for others, just in case they don't know about the plans and don't already have a workstand.

Collapsible Motorcycle Workstand

FRLSSRZHPL6CFL6.MEDIUM.jpg

It folds down much smaller, and the ramp slides into the stand for storage, making it far smaller to store when not in use:
FMOBO6CHPL6CFL7.LARGE.jpg

As I said, it's just 2 sheets of plywood, and you can easily build it in about 2-3 hours with two sheets of plywood, a few hinges, basic woodworking tools, wood glue, and some screws. It brings the bike to a working height that's much easier on an OldFag back like mine, and I suspect a few others here would find it easy to build and is cheap and easy to knock together. I've had mine for 15 years now and it's still working great.

What the hell is an "OldFag back"?

Is it wide enough to get a front and rear stand on it?

Ash797

I've been looking at this: PSR PowerPlatform - PSR-USA.com

Nice in that it can be easily taken to the track. My 2T buddies all have something like this so they aren't sitting on the ground like an animal :)

I've read on another forum that the platform from PSR was kind of sketchy, they were recommending one offered by Apex manufacturing..

But Formula390 that is a pretty economical solution for home use. Thanks for sharing

commandodave

There was a similar plan for a workbench posted to the old Brit-Iron mailing list some 20 couple years ago. It was developed by Michael Moore (if I remember right). Its advantage was that the entire top surface tilted to the rear. It made a ramp along with the rear side. The two pieces were hinged to that the ramp was extended. When you rolled a bike up the ramp, once the weight transferred towards the front, the top rotated down and became flat. The rear portion of the ramp folded to the vertical and supported the rear of the top piece. It was quite a simple. efficient design. I made one and used it for years. But with the price of plywood being what it is today, and the opening of a local Harbor Freight outlet, I bought a cheap Chinese workbench when it was on sale.

Sorry about the cheesy artwork. it is the best I can do with PAINT.

Start with two 4' x 8' sheets of 3/4" plywood. Cut them in half so you have 4 sheets of 2' x 8' wood.

Two pieces make the sides. One piece is cut to make the front, back, rear ramp. Cut the top to a 7' length. Add a piece of 2" x 4" for a front stop. The one foot overhang in fron comes in handy if you rock the bike back onto a center stand.

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
That looks sketchy as hell!

I don't know why you say that. The ramp extends out the front, which makes it possible to roll the bike out onto, then with the rear on the stand you can jack the front end up on the motor, and push the ramp back in, leaving the front end hanging in the air to easily remove the forks and/or front wheel.

I've been using these stands for 15 years now, and never once had any problems with stability or holding the bike. I've put everything on them from my old NSR 250 race bike and dirtbikes, to a full dresser Harley and a Kawasaki Concours. While I admit, they have certainly seen their use and a number of times have been stored outdoors... they are still great stands that have served me and many friends who have also built them really well. As far as I'm away, nobody has ever had any issues with a bike while it is on the stand, or getting a bike on or off.
FVPA2EZHPL6CFLO.LARGE.jpg

There was a similar plan for a workbench posted to the old Brit-Iron mailing list some 20 couple years ago.

Yeah I've seen these types too. and used one similar to it. It used a lot more materials and didn't store as elegantly so I ended up not building that style. Nothing wrong with it if you have the space for it. The thing I always liked about the "two sheets" design is that they can store either up on end or on top of one another if space is at a premium.

Treachery

Country flag
Interesting thread.

Do you "idle" the bike up the ramp, or just get help and push it up?

"Oldfag." My vocabulary lesson for the night. OldFart I understood, but the "get offa my lawn" aspect makes it funny.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Interesting thread.

Do you "idle" the bike up the ramp, or just get help and push it up?

"Oldfag." My vocabulary lesson for the night. OldFart I understood, but the "get offa my lawn" aspect makes it funny.

I just push it up the ramp. Drop the kickstand, push ramp into the workstand and out the front, roll bike onto the front extended ramp, put rear up on rear stand, roll bike back, push the ramp back into the stand in the storage position. Works great. With really heavy bikes I'll sometimes place a 2x between the kickstand and the ground under the wing so out doesn't bow as much while moving to the front. Or you can have somebody hold it steady while putting it up on a rear or center stand.