2015 v 2017 390 engine interchangeability?

angusec

Country flag
I landed an opportunity to pick up a 2017 390 engine as a spare to my 2015 race bike.

Was just curious if I should be picking up the harness/ecu as well or not? Meaning, are there any differences/challenges that I'll face jumping between the 2017 and the 2015 when the time comes?

Thanks in advance.

- Angus

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The stator is different along with the cover. The gear position sensor will also no longer work unless you can rewire it to the old plug. Everything else will work just fine.

angusec

Country flag
Thanks for the response. Thats reassuring.

Any numbers on the engine that would be an indicator? Its not always in my possession, but I took a few stamped number photos from the cylinder.

- A

antarius

The 2017 uses throttle by wire and the 2015-16 does not, so I'd imagine the ECU handles that a little differently as well... along with the wiring harness being able to handle the throttles "plug."

CKRC390

Country flag
It was meant to be easy...got hold of a 2017 engine to my 2015 Cup bike. Installed the engine, but the gear sensor is different and most likely more stuff. Has someone out there done this engine operation and made it work? Want a long term solution as I intend to race the bike a couple of more years, but the 2015 engine needed an upgrade and I found the 2017 low mileage engine.