2016 ktm rc 390

DMenace

Hey! I am new here and i am planning on purchasing a 2016 KTM RC 390. Does anyone know when they will be released in US, specifically California, if that matters. Thanks in advance!

Hekimpd

Funny you should ask. As far as I recall, the 2016 rc on the official page isn't even the 2016, unless they updated it.

Ryanthegreat1

KTM updated their site. No more RC8 listed. :-(

On the RC390 they do have an updated picture but no side exhaust like the rumor mill thought. Still under belly though the black plate in the lower body work the exhaust tip exits is different looking. Also it is not wearing Rosso II tires, looks to be Metzeler Sportec.

Also the bar end weights are missing.

Bagwell

Country flag
Wonder if its a European spec RC on their site. The European model got the Metzlers I believe. I heard someplace that the 2016s are just rebadged 2015s I dont have any data to back up that claim just remember reading somewhere.

big_sur

I don't know that we'll be getting the 2016 updates in the US. Comparison between UK and US websites, you can see they're getting the upgrades but apparently we aren't. I think it's just KTM USA sucking it up as usual. When the super duke came out they spent a ton of money marketing it and then it didn't show up for a year.

2016-02-21_1826.png

Ryanthegreat1

That UK bike has the bar weights and the front fork reflector.

Also that UK bike as a new mounting tab on the frame just under the fuel tank about where the fuel tank and fairing intersect. You can see it poking out there.

There is also no throttle cable on the throttle tube on the UK bike. :-(

I was at the manufacturers show in Toronto Canada on the weekend. The KTM people had a 2016 RC390 on display. Not a lot of differences, they only seem to have graphics changes from what they could tell me. Parillaguy

ToraTora

Country flag
I know the functionality of having it underneath is better if there's a crash, but damn it if that UK version doesn't look a whole lot sexier! Zoinks!

cornerslider

I was at the manufacturers show in Toronto Canada on the weekend. The KTM people had a 2016 RC390 on display. Not a lot of differences, they only seem to have graphics changes from what they could tell me. Parillaguy

I hope your right..... I ordered a 2016 RC390 last September. I've been disappointed with the "rumored" changes. IMHO- the whole "ride-by-wire" technology/side mounted exhaust would be an unnecessary improvement..... Why not make improvements in an area that would be noticed (i.e. brakes/suspension). If there is a price increase for 2016, I'd REALLY like to see it for a 320mm front rotor, better suspension, and a slipper clutch, rather than RBW & a side-mounted exhaust (that most riders will ditch anyway?) Who's with me on this? Am I way off base on this? I'd love to hear other opinions on this-

ToraTora

Country flag
Because brakes and suspension cost money. Any changes they would make there wouldn't be noticed by the punters, and the folks that want better are going to spend the big $ to get something that's actually decent. This has always been the case with smaller bikes.

And I say this because would you pay $10K for a properly built small bike? I mean it really doesn't cost any less to build a "good" small bike than it does to build a "good" big bike. One could even make an argument that it costs more because you have to get the weight down on the small bike. If you don't believe me go price what it costs to run a Moto3 bike vs a Moto2 bike. I think it's like two or three times as much to run the little bike.

But the way the moto industry is structured CCs are pretty much the only factor in pricing a bike. How good the suspension, or brakes are mean very little. In nearly all of the reviews of the 390 the reviewers complained about the brakes, and yet there are PAGES and PAGES on this very forum of punters proclaiming that the stock brakes are great. Yeah there's no point in improving these things for the current market place. If you want a good little bike you have to start with what they give you, and then spend the $10K on it yourself.

Last edited:

ToraTora

Country flag
Cool Thanks!

Oh man great link. These images are so nice they should be linked too!

2016-KTM-RC-390-India-Spec-model-1-696x509.jpg

2016-KTM-RC-390-India-Spec-model-2-1021x603.jpg

2016-KTM-RC-390-India-Spec-model-4-772x640.jpg

2016-KTM-RC-390-India-Spec-model-3-759x640.jpg

Last edited:

ToraTora

Country flag
The article makes the claim of a different caliper due to the larger disc, but that doesn't make any sense. With a radial caliper all you have to do to accommodate a larger disc is add some spacers. No big deal.

Front brake caliper is different because a new disc brake at the front of 320mm over the 300mm has arrived.

cornerslider

I hate to be a "buzz-kill", but that article was dated November 17th, 2015. It sounds like KTM has re-thought the whole idea of RBW, and the side-mounted exhaust. They have already announced that the India version would NOT have RBW, nor would it have the side-mounted exhaust. I thought the whole reason for the side-mounted exhaust was to meet the European exhaust emissions for 2016. It sounded like the decision to keep the under belly exhaust for the India version was to keep costs down. Why would they NOT do the same for the USA market? Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but my interpretation is that the whole A2 licensing in Europe is a BIG deal in the marketing world. It seems to me that in Europe, this bike would be very appealing to the younger/newer A2 license riders. So much that Europeans might be willing to pay a bit more for a higher-performance bike that they can legally ride.... In the USA on the other hand- it's marketed as an "entry level" bike geared towards "lower price point". While I personally DO NOT agree with this line of thinking (USA thinking "bigger is better")...... KTM has to make money on their decisions, the bottom line usually wins-

Last edited:

ToraTora

Country flag
Except look at the demo that actually bought these bikes in the States. We are mostly averaging around 50 years old. That doesn't sound like beginners here in the States even if that's who KTM thinks is their target market. And well the 390 isn't really a good beginner's bike anyway. It's way to big, too heavy, and too powerful for a new rider--but that's a topic for a different thread (but one that's very easy to argue, and support).

And yeah the States totally suffer Small Penis Syndrome, and over compensate with SUVs, Monster trucks and liter+ bikes, but clearly not everyone here thinks that way. BMW still sells a lot of sports cars (although yeah they do sell a lot of SUVs to SPS drivers). But the fact that it's the older folks buying these bikes might actual have some pull with putting better components on the bikes for sale in the States. They did have to fit better tires over here, but that was mostly to meet DOT standards. :p

But who knows, you can buy a special version of the 675 with Ohlins, and Brembos. You can buy a special version of the RSV4 with Ohlins, and Brembos. Maybe someday there will be a 390 for sale set up that way--if the demo actually is an older population. The 675 was only like $1500 more for the Ohlins/Brembo package. Would you pay an extra $1500 for a 390 that came with Ohlins forks/shocks, and honest to goodness radial Brembo masters and calipers? That's a no brainer, and if Triumph can do it why wouldn't KTM be able to do it?

Hekimpd

Except look at the demo that actually bought these bikes in the States. We are mostly averaging around 50 years old. That doesn't sound like beginners here in the States even if that's who KTM thinks is their target market. And well the 390 isn't really a good beginner's bike anyway. It's way to big, too heavy, and too powerful for a new rider--but that's a topic for a different thread (but one that's very easy to argue, and support).

And yeah the States totally suffer Small Penis Syndrome, and over compensate with SUVs, Monster trucks and liter+ bikes, but clearly not everyone here thinks that way. BMW still sells a lot of sports cars (although yeah they do sell a lot of SUVs to SPS drivers). But the fact that it's the older folks buying these bikes might actual have some pull with putting better components on the bikes for sale in the States. They did have to fit better tires over here, but that was mostly to meet DOT standards. :p

But who knows, you can buy a special version of the 675 with Ohlins, and Brembos. You can buy a special version of the RSV4 with Ohlins, and Brembos. Maybe someday there will be a 390 for sale set up that way--if the demo actually is an older population. The 675 was only like $1500 more for the Ohlins/Brembo package. Would you pay an extra $1500 for a 390 that came with Ohlins forks/shocks, and honest to goodness radial Brembo masters and calipers? That's a no brainer, and if Triumph can do it why wouldn't KTM be able to do it?

Bring on the RC690 and I'm there. Size doesn't matter! :p