2016 ktm rc 390

Hekimpd

Yeah see this is the problem with way too many people in the States. You already have a wide selection of "mid-sized" sport bikes. SPS

True, but not a KTM. I like the Aprilia, but I'm on a tight budget. The Japanese manufactures don't do anything for me. Just my humbled opinion.

ToraTora

Country flag
Yes, but can't you see that you are not only illustrating the problem, but reinforcing it too? KTM does make a 125 RC, why are't you asking for that bike? You would probably be much better served by an even smaller bike than the 390 rather than a larger one, but you've bought into this whole lie that bigger is better.

big_sur

Small bikes are fun but big bikes are a lot more practical and comfy if you don't mind the money. I much prefer bigger bikes for everyday street use.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Small bikes are fun but big bikes are a lot more practical and comfy if you don't mind the money. I much prefer bigger bikes for everyday street use.

I would agree, I am happy to have a selection of performance styles to choose from depending on mood etc.

ToraTora

Country flag
Well if we are going to be practical we should all get Honda Civic hatchbacks. I don't ride a motorcycle to be practical. I ride it for the emotional high I get on it. The better I get at riding the stronger the high. The smaller bikes create an opportunity for accelerated learning. This translates into a better emotional experience. Is it it practical? Seriously? ¯ \_(ツ)_/¯

Honda-Civic_Hatchback-1985-wallpaper.jpg

big_sur

I hear ya on the learning piece, I think mainly because they allow for smaller incremental challenge, which I think is what most people like about motorcycles. Put another way, you're at less risk of way overshooting your skillset which is very possible on a bigger bike and most people respect that risk and therefore don't challenge themselves as much on a bigger bike. So in that respect, yes I do agree that small bikes are much better for beginners in almost all situations because the benefits of a bigger bike probably won't offset the learning potential of a small bike, especially if you can only have one motorcycle.

That being said, I like riding motorcycles and there's lots of different situations under that statement that different bikes will be better at once you've acquired sufficient skill; there's no absolute better, just trade-offs. If I have to ride through Kansas, a little bike is going to make that a perfectly miserable experience with no redeeming attributes. A big bike is going to be comfy and it's going to put a shit-eating grin on my face when I can power wheelie through the first four gears, even if the road itself is boring as can be. There's also a lot to be said for a 600+ on a race track once your skillset is up to power sliding out of corners. I think it mainly just goes back to the challenge piece, it's a hedonic treadmill.

At the end of the day I'm with FastEddy, I think the real answer is to just buy a bunch of different sizes\styles so you can pick the appropriate bike for a given situation.

Hekimpd

You make a good point. I understand what you're saying, however I had a 2012 R6 until my wife said she wanted to learn how to ride. Then I got something I could play with and something she could transition from her 85sx to the street. Personally, I like how many much quicker the R6 was. I bought the 390 for practicality and something which won't scare my wife. If Ktm made a v-twin 600+ cc I would buy it because it's well within my riding capabilities.

Oh, and when fuel prices were higher it was nice cutting my fuel costs in half commuting. Even now I can't wait to save money, just doesn't do well in 15" of snow we just got.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I hear ya on the learning piece, I think mainly because they allow for smaller incremental challenge, which I think is what most people like about motorcycles. Put another way, you're at less risk of way overshooting your skillset which is very possible on a bigger bike and most people respect that risk and therefore don't challenge themselves as much on a bigger bike. So in that respect, yes I do agree that small bikes are much better for beginners in almost all situations because the benefits of a bigger bike probably won't offset the learning potential of a small bike, especially if you can only have one motorcycle.

That being said, I like riding motorcycles and there's lots of different situations under that statement that different bikes will be better at once you've acquired sufficient skill; there's no absolute better, just trade-offs. If I have to ride through Kansas, a little bike is going to make that a perfectly miserable experience with no redeeming attributes. A big bike is going to be comfy and it's going to put a shit-eating grin on my face when I can power wheelie through the first four gears, even if the road itself is boring as can be. There's also a lot to be said for a 600+ on a race track once your skillset is up to power sliding out of corners. I think it mainly just goes back to the challenge piece, it's a hedonic treadmill.

At the end of the day I'm with FastEddy, I think the real answer is to just buy a bunch of different sizes\styles so you can pick the appropriate bike for a given situation.

The Kansas part made literally LOL! I will go through my pics and find one to post up from a trip buzzing across the state on a 1984 GPz 750 mostly at triple digit speeds !