Akra Map Flash

KVA.36

Went to my dealer last Thursday to have my 2017 RC390 flashed with the AKRA map. Upon waiting for two hours for the "quick" service for this to be performed, I was told that KTM would not allow the map to be programmed with that configuration. The tech told me that, "KTM needs a code from the AKRA silencer in order to have that map programmed on your bike. And will also need this bike to be a complete "track bike" in order for that service to be performed.

I guess I was reading some of these forums wrong i thinking that the AKRA map would richen up the values for compensating the original LEAN values taht are programmed from the factory in order to comply with emission standards. My thought process was to get the AKRA map in preparations for an after market exhaust system that I planned on purchasing over the winter'18.

Has anyone else had this happen to them when going to have this service performed?

Or did i go about this the wrong way in preparations for an aftermarket exhaust system

Grand Haven,MI

rocksarntpeople

I actually had the same exact thing happen to me at 3 different dealers. I just ended up buying a RapidBike EVO rather than trying to find someone who would actually flash the bike. One dealer said I needed the AKRO pipe and the code, another said they wouldn't because its illegal and for off road use only, and the 3rd said that didn't exist. I just got tired of no one knowing what they were talking about lol

green_bread

Country flag
You do not want to do the flash before you put the exhaust on the bike, IMO. You should install the exhaust, then get them to flash the ECU.

As far as it needing to be a track bike, its probably because of the emissions stuff and they cant legally flash bikes for road use to eliminate the emissions.

When I had a dealer flash my ECU I didnt have to give them any code to do it.

This is stupid. I sent my ECU off to Commonwealth Motorcycles and they did the flash for me, no questions asked. It took two days total. It sounds like the dealers/service centers in your area are being clowns or pulling some CYA stuff.

If it's illegal, then have them show you the law in black and white.

rocksarntpeople

This is stupid. I sent my ECU off to Commonwealth Motorcycles and they did the flash for me, no questions asked. It took two days total. It sounds like the dealers/service centers in your area are being clowns or pulling some CYA stuff.

If it's illegal, then have them show you the law in black and white.

Oh I agree 100% I just chose to go with a full solution rather than waste anymore time on it. Just my personal story.

I'm glad you found a solution. I turned wrenches on bikes for many years and never came across the illegal modification laws that some shops swear by.

simpletty

Country flag
I'm glad you found a solution. I turned wrenches on bikes for many years and never came across the illegal modification laws that some shops swear by.

"One of two things

1. The have no clue how

2. They cant be bothered to help a customer out for minimal profit

I guess customer satisfaction as a priority died some time ago and I didn't realize it. Did the OP get a good solution yet?

karizzle38

sorry to turn this into a "which dealer is mod-friendly" post but does anyone in the southern california area have a good dealer that is amenable to performing this flash? i've heard 3 brothers in costa mesa is good, but didn't have a good experience with one of their service advisors once...

KVA.36

I have yet to find a solution. This the dealership that I run my amateur motocross program thru and have great service other than this occasion. They were on the phone with KTM while i was in shop and they were trying to do it. My understanding is that it is illegal in the eyes of KTM as far as emissions go......... So i can understand that aspect. When he had the dealer portal opened, you could clearly see the selections available for every other country except the USA. Without said AKRA code then there is nothing they can do

othebe

Country flag
I recently got mine flashed at the dealer here in NorCal. The guys said that the codes are by country, and so it would be possible as long as it was a US code. I'm surprised there were no selections for you.

zx2slow

What is the code they are talking about? Like a number printed on the box or a certificate included with the exhaust?

KVA.36

My impression is that there is a code assigned to the Akra pipe when you buy it. That's what I was told by the tech