Ari at Sonoma

ToraTora

Country flag
Ari Henning recently posted an article about his RC390 race prep. He took it up to Sonoma and not only won, but set a new lap record too. ;) He's got a lot of nice aftermarket parts on his bike. Definitely something to drool over. :)

rc390_sonoma_afm_racing-lr.jpg

Looks like the Daily Motion video wont embed. :confused:

[video]http://dai.ly/x4at3rn[/video]​

stevieboy

Country flag
Question for all you race guys. With all the safety modifications that are necessary how and why do all these bikes end up with no chainguard?

Treachery

Country flag
Ain't part of the regs. If the chain's going to come off, it's going to. Being oil and water-tight are more important to other competitors than the chain.

Just my guess...

stevieboy

Country flag
Then why the shark guard? And does anybody really like cleaning up flung off chain lube?

Last edited:

stevieboy

Country flag
Shark fin guard prevents your foot from getting sucked into the rear sprocket / chain during a crash. I've seen it happen and it's NASTY

I know what they do. Obviously the difference is being run in versus being run out but wouldn't a chainguard be a good idea? Just curious.

RobbiRob76

I hear ya on the lube. But in safety terms, the bottom run of the chain is going towards the sprocket, so that's why the shark fin I guess.
We aren't required to run guards. As for chain lube... If you apply it correctly the "fling" is minimal. Use a quality lube or wax, and oil after the first round of practice, while the chain is hot. Fling is minimal. Guard has no real protective value if the chain comes off. Only limits lube fling. The chain would take out the stock guard immediately of came apart in the wrong place. The shark fin keeps the sprocket from pulling you in, but again not 100% fail proof.