big_sur's Race Build

big_sur

Yeah, I was pretty amazed he was racing later in the day after that. Thanks and you're looking good out there yourself!

big_sur

Alright so round 1 at Pueblo is a wrap and it was a great weekend. The track record from last year was 1:48.2 and I got into the 1:47s in Friday practice which was promising, but then everyone else started destroying the old record and getting down to the 1:46’s. I went out and did a 1:47.1 in qualifying Saturday morning which was pretty solid and put me 4th among the club bikes and only .01 off third but way back on the 145.5 Hammer put down. I had a decent start and did a 1:46.1 but I just didn’t have the pace to run with the top three and didn’t feel comfy at that pace. tecknojoe was keeping up a little better than I was but he crashed out so I finished a lonely third amongst the club bikes. It was cool having a great show going on in front of me though and I officially got my first podium ever.

Lightweight GP was a ton of fun this time since the grid was sorted. It was a great race and I finally got by the 450 that I couldn’t pass last round to finish third. In ultralightweight endurance I passed Absolon on the last lap since he got hemmed up on a 650, but then I got held up as well and he passed me back for second before the checkered. It was kind of a crash fest though and I don’t know if I’m going to keep doing that one. There’s just way too many bikes and way too much speed disparity. I almost crashed a few times not even going that fast, just dealing with dumb shit in front of me.

End of the day on Saturday and I was dragging stuff everywhere. Aside from going through the toe sliders on my brand new boots, the belly pan, exhaust, shift knob, brake knob, and case cover were dragging so even though I was doing relatively well, this is about finding better, so I raised the rear ride height up probably ¼ inch. I was also talking to Mike and he was saying just get off the bike more so you’re not running that kind of lean angle. I’m not in particularly great shape at the moment so I think I was probably just being lazy, but I decided to take some time in the morning practice sessions to see if I could make a more concerted effort to improve my body position.

I worked on body position at a pretty sedate pace in the first morning practice session and while I felt a lot more comfortable, going into qualifying on Sunday I had no idea where I was going to end up. Hammer, Kris and Jose took off in qualifying and I was trying to stay with them but ended up behind tecknojoe and they stretched out a good size gap on us. I eventually drafted by tecknojoe and got my head down to reel them back in and in the process, I ended up setting a new qualifying track record for Production Cup at 1:44.858, not to mention I put down a bunch of mid 45’s. The funny thing is with my getting off the bike more, the 1:44 felt comfortable whereas the 1:46 on Saturday was pushing it hard.

So I got pole on Sunday for Production which was awesome, but got a terrible start and then threw the race away with an overly ambitious pass that sent me off track. I need to start checking traffic behind me because apparently Hammer had an off trying to pass me the lap before I went off so there was no pressing reason at all for me to try and make the pass I tried. Live and learn.

Formula Colorado was a good race and I was keeping up with Absolon until the end, but I just couldn’t find the motivation to push after everybody was crashing all afternoon and the heat definitely slicked things up. He checked out on me in the last couple laps and I ended up with another lonely third.

Overall though, great weekend as I was able to drop a bit over three seconds off my previous best with that new track record and get my first ever, and then a few other, podiums. I felt like I was plateauing doing track days so it’s awesome to be learning and pushing myself again. Can’t wait to learn more...

3rd - Production Cup (Sat)
3rd - Lightweight GP
3rd - Ultralight Endurance
8th?- Production Cup (Sun)
3rd - Formula Colorado

New Production Cup Track Record - 1:44.858

OldVet

Great report big_sur and great results congrats...

On another note however I don't think it is a good for you to check on whats going on behind you, keep your focus where you want to go. If someone screws up trying to pass you that's their problem, unless they take you out like the guy did Lorenzo this weekend in MotoGP...

big_sur

Yeah, that's what they tell everybody at the rider's meeting which is great advice for new people, but everybody playing at the front looks back with the little bikes since you have like 10 minutes to do it on the straight. In MotoGP they have pit boards and even in the top classes at the club level, there's usually some spectator signaling gaps to the riders somewhere. Yes, it's definitely the person behind you's problem to make a legit pass, but you yourself can make a lot better passing and strategy decisions if you know there's an entire pack on your ass or if you have a 5 second gap to relax behind the person you need to pass. As in most things, knowledge is power.

micahpearlman

I had the '90s ass off but head outside and elbow up style (coming from SuperMoto and dirt track) and was dragging everything as well. The past couple of races I've switched to a more modern head to the inside and it feels surprisingly comfortable and not dragging anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big_sur

Yeah, it definitely helps a lot. I found one picture from Saturday I think, definitely need to work on getting off more.
13416827_10208437517487384_6587534481742236176_o.jpg

big_sur

^Seems like a laudable goal

Found a picture from Sunday and there's a big difference. I still need to get my head down more but headed in the right direction.

Saturday
13416827_10208437517487384_6587534481742236176_o.jpg

Sunday
13403754_1065026063580723_4893682697858675973_o.jpg

Bike wise, I made a replacement cover that bolts on which seems to be working out well. It sits a little lower but you can shake the bike with it so it's definitely functional.
2016-06-08%2021.06.24_1.jpg

After the last weekend, I was looking over the bike and a few bolts fell out of the tail section that I've had to replace.
2016-06-08%2021.06.30.jpg

There's also a good bit of dragging from Saturday and the exhaust header is getting super thin.
2016-06-08%2021.06.57.jpg

Soooo glad I found this before the weekend.
2016-06-08%2021.08.20.jpg

Round 3 coming up...

Last edited:

big_sur

I've been pondering that myself. I've been checking tension\adjusting\lubing regularly so I don't think maintenance is the issue. I thought it could be the swingarm marks were off and so the wheel was not aligned but I measured when I replaced the chain and it's spot on. I also did the straight-piece-of-metal-on-the-sprocket trick and it lined up perfectly with the new chain. The only other thing I could think of is maybe the master link was not the appropriate one? It came in the box so possibly misplaced at the factory, but seems unlikely. Manufacturing defect is another option, which while it wasn't a particularly great chain, you still wouldn't expect it to fail with such little use on a low power bike. Short answer: I don't know and that's definitely sketchy.

Hoping to avoid that problem in the future, made it rain on a DID 520 ERV3 with a rivet master link so hopefully we're done with that. Plus it's blinglicious :cool:

20160615_163201.jpg

Last edited:

Metals 907

Stock chain has a riveted master link.

Imho stock chain is noisy ( wheel alignment done every tension adjustment). I wouldn't mind going -1 on the drive sprocket and better quality quieter running chain.

Last edited:

OldVet

Yeah I'm thinking that was some cheap ass chain he had laying around in the garage LOL....

He shouldn't have any problems with the new chain IF the master link was riveted properly that is...

Metals 907

I have no issues with clip type master links. They work just fine. Logged thousands of miles on street and dirt with them. Only issue I've ever had is not paying attention to the clip direction and getting grass caught in it. Left unchecked it would have failed.

OldVet

Yeah but there is no doubt a clipped master link is the weak point on a chain unlike a riveted link again if done properly.

Metals 907

I absolutely agree. However unless I'm working with 100hp+, I'm not going to worry about it. My 83' ktm 495 made 63hp @ the rear wheel. It is a big 2 stroke single. Way, way more violent power delivery than this little 373cc 4 stroke. Master links (clip type), held up fine in the decade I rode it.

Also made adding/subtracting links for gear changes a breeze.

big_sur

was that the stock chain? you got me all worried about my bike now. i'm gonna be up late Friday triple checking everything before the race:mad:

No, I think it was a Renthal.

I've had a clip-style master links on much more powerful bikes and never had any issue with it so I really doubt it has anything to do with the style of master link.

Metals 907

No, I think it was a Renthal.

I've had a clip-style master links on much more powerful bikes and never had any issue with it so I really doubt it has anything to do with the style of master link.

I've heard people howl about how bad clip type master links are.
Imho those are the same guys that run a sprocket till it has no teeth and blame the quality of the gear and not the lack of maintenance.