R&D Testing and ECU Reverse Engineering

CDN Duke

Country flag
Can you do 'ride modes' or further 'ABS' options?

For example, 2017 Duke gets 'super moto' ABS mode, so front only ABS. 2016 and older only gets ABS on/off.

JoshDank

Can you do 'ride modes' or further 'ABS' options?

For example, 2017 Duke gets 'super moto' ABS mode, so front only ABS. 2016 and older only gets ABS on/off.

I'd have to look into how the ECU does that code. ABS is a separate unit, so I'm not sure I could do that... worth looking into though!

@CDN Duke , go help me get some posts on the Duke forum thread I made so I can upload photos over there and gain ideas and interest.

Last edited:

streetfighter

To add to this, here's what I have so far and what I'm thinking of adding:

Tested:
- Ignition Timing
- Rev limits
- Idle targets
- Forced full-time open loop
- Target AFR
- Sensor scaling
- Injector scaling

To find:
- rollover sensor
- DTC disabling
- logging via diag port
- flashing via diag port

Custom code want list:
- Full time closed loop with wideband input
- launch control
- quickshift for upshifts (no clutch)
- quickshift for downshift (and/or throttle blip for downshifts)
- speedo correction

Anything else should be on the list?

**Added to post 3 so I can update the list as things get finished or added**

Very comprehensive list, could you also add

- Fan on/off temperature trigger?
( I think the engine could do a bit more cooling )

- Bluetooth connection for wireless flashing/map selection/diagnostic

Frankly your test list alone above is already good enough most RC riders who don't want to use a piggy back setup. I myself would be happy to be a guinea pig and try it on my 2016 RC if the tools are available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshDank

Sorry, should have mentioned fan temps are already tested. I'll add that to the list. Bluetooth would be on the tun device side and would be reasonably easy if it was a phone app instead of a proprietary device, I'll add that to the 'wants'.

Fasteddy

Country flag
So FWIW, speedo correction is already available via the combo instrument by removing a jumper and going through the same process as the other KTM models. The rest of your R&D is quiet interesting!

D

Deleted member 452

It would be great to remove the PCV & WB2 using just a flashed ECU but I would settle for just being able to control the closed loop area with these add-ons if there was a simple way to make the ECU treat all tables/cells as open loop.

JoshDank

It would be great to remove the PCV & WB2 using just a flashed ECU but I would settle for just being able to control the closed loop area with these add-ons if there was a simple way to make the ECU treat all tables/cells as open loop.

That's how my bike is currently running

ahastings

what rpm and throttle position is currently in closed loop in the stock ecu? I have a powertronic add on box but dont know how far down I can tune with it

D

Deleted member 452

Interesting... I was told by DynoJet that all the cells with 8% values in their map below were closed loop which is a little different than "below 8000 RPM and below 65% TPS".

DynoJet Stock Map.JPG

JoshDank

Actually, that matches up pretty close. They don't have 65% TPS row in that map, so the cells with a value of 8 in the 80% TPS column are likely interpolating the 65% value. Closed loop does vary a bit in the 5-20% TPS columns as they show.

Last edited:

JoshDank

There's a table for "max TPS for closed loop trims" which from the factory is set to 65% TPS. So anything under 65% TPS and when the ECU is requesting stoich, it will be in closed loop. Target AFR is just a target though... so if VE is not properly set up, then these values will not be achieved (at least not in open loop since there is no sensor feedback).

Here's the main target fuel table:

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

isaac_

In other words, if you're racing you're good to go [emoji16] awesome.

JoshDank

In other words, if you're racing you're good to go [emoji16] awesome.

Kinda... Every dyno plot I've seen, including my own where I had richer targets than stock, the actual AFR was quite a bit leaner. So I don't think the VE table is set up properly to actually hit the target AFR. Once I do more testing, I'll post more dyno sheets with actual AFR included.

Not saying the stock tune is unsafe, but most of my experience is with turbo cars, so I'm happy to give an engine more fuel to prevent detonation if there's no major power loss. Especially an engine with no knock sensor.

Last edited: