Blown gaskets. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Topaz

Country flag
What’s the cause of the blown gaskets? Is there any check that could be done to prevent it?

It looks like when it happens the damage is all over, cylinder, piston, valves, head. Does anybody know the estimated cost of rebuilding the engine from that?

micahpearlman

Summary:

1. Get a Cometic gasket set *AND* new head bolts from Chad (ktmperformance.com).
2. Get your head *AND* barrel resurfaced. Important note that the Cometic (and stock) head gaskets require a fine surface finish. Likely your corner auto head machine shop can't (or won't) put a fine enough finish on the head for the gasket to seal properly. Make absolutely sure to ask if they can do 50RA roughness or finer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tecknojoe

Country flag
Where are the head bolts? I don't see them on the site.

Summary:

1. Get a Cometic gasket set *AND* new head bolts from Chad (ktmperfmormance.com).
2. Get your head *AND* barrel resurfaced. Important note that the Cometic (and stock) head gaskets require a fine surface finish. Likely your corner auto head machine shop can't (or won't) put a fine enough finish on the head for the gasket to seal properly. Make absolutely sure to ask if they can do 50RA roughness or finer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bean

Summary:

1. Get a Cometic gasket set *AND* new head bolts from Chad (ktmperformance.com).
Wish I knew this the first time the head gasket blew. It just blew for the second time this past weekend with less than 700km on the clock. Luckily I've got 3 weeks until my next round but unfortunately being a race bike it's not covered under warranty.

big_sur

[FONT=&quot]If your engine does blow a gasket, take it to the dealership for repair, and ask that they surface the head and cylinder. [/FONT]KTM[FONT=&quot] says that gaskets that fail within the warranty period will be repaired free of charge, even if the bike has been raced.[/FONT]

See above link

=maz=

Country flag
Actually, KTM does cover it on racebikes. Ari Henning said KTM told him that.
Without a written document from KTM it will not happen here in Australia...I have taken both bikes back to the dealer with blown head-gaskets and know multiple owners of race-bike RC390's who have been told the same thing. "No, it's a race bike."

If you, Ari or anyone else has something in writing from KTM on an official letter-head I would like to see it. In fact, if I did see it I would be submitting an invoice to KTM Australia and then putting a collection agency on their arse for the bills I have.

D

Deleted member 452

Just got off the phone with KTM's warranty department to see if they would reset my warranty after spending 7+ weeks at the dealer to perform the work below. They won't reset the warranty on my little ticking time bomb and they also said they don't warranty bikes that have been raced or modified. That said, my dealer was really cool and he used Chad's head gasket so fingers crossed that it lasts more than 4K miles...

Head gasket @ 4.3K miles
Water pump @ 4.7K miles
Clutch @ 5.1K miles
Low oil pressure light @ 6.4K miles

=maz=

Country flag
That was what I thought would happen.

I have written to the author asking for some supporting documentation from KTM, for the statements in his article...we'll see what happens.

D

Deleted member 452

I already did that in the comments section of his blog and he answered right away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

=maz=

Country flag
I must be as blind as a bat then...can't see a comments section anywhere in the link. Can you tell me what the response was?...or a link please?

EDIT: Scratch that...I found the link.

And having read the answers...nothing has changed and we're all still in the same boat...poor QC/QA at the factory is the reason they blow, they will continue to blow and if you're a racer you have to suck it up.

Last edited:

Rexbo

Country flag
Odd... It may have something to do with the relationship between the dealer and KTM as well.

My race bike popped its head gasket at 267 miles on the odometer and they're repairing it, along with quite a few other things under warranty. Maybe I'm just lucky.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I must be as blind as a bat then...can't see a comments section anywhere in the link. Can you tell me what the response was?...or a link please?

EDIT: Scratch that...I found the link.

And having read the answers...nothing has changed and we're all still in the same boat...poor QC/QA at the factory is the reason they blow, they will continue to blow and if you're a racer you have to suck it up.

If you properly surface/mill the head (ensuring it's STRAIGHT) and check the top of the deck (Chinese mill is all that's usually needed) it will stay together using my gaskets....

rick

Just got off the phone with KTM's warranty department to see if they would reset my warranty after spending 7+ weeks at the dealer to perform the work below. They won't reset the warranty on my little ticking time bomb ...
I can't find the reference now and maybe it was just California but, I read somewhere that every day a vehicle spends in the shop on a warranty repairs is supposed to be added to your warranty term. Since the mileage is gonna expire first for me I didn't book mark it. I did mention it to KTM North America on one or our many phone calls and they didn't disagree FWIW.

ray

FYI, Here in India mostly all the KTM Service Centers are replacing the gaskets under warranty whenever they spot a leak. I had my head leaking Oil at 1.5K KMS on the ODO and they replaced the gasket at 4k KM.

D

Deleted member 452

I can't find the reference now and maybe it was just California but, I read somewhere that every day a vehicle spends in the shop on a warranty repairs is supposed to be added to your warranty term. Since the mileage is gonna expire first for me I didn't book mark it. I did mention it to KTM North America on one or our many phone calls and they didn't disagree FWIW.

Both people that I spoke with at KTM told me they wouldn't extend my warranty after my bike spent 7+ weeks in the shop for warranty work. I spoke with them after each incident and their response never changed.

rick

That blows!
I was gonna say you could threaten to lemon law it and make 'em do a buy-back if they don't want to extend the warranty but, according to this the Washington state lemon law doesn't cover motorcycles under 750cc (see R.C.W. 19.118). I imagine there's other statutes that may apply though. Federally, there's the magnuson-moss warranty act.
I bought an extended 5-year unlimited mileage warranty with the bike figuring their might be some issues (first model year and all) so, I haven't been too concerned about time issues.