Brake guard lever install

barryc

I am attempting to do what I thought would be a relatively easy maneuver....install the KTM brand brake lever guard to a 2015 RC 390.

Not so much.

There is a plug plate in the handle bar that the stock bar end mounting bolt affixed to. How does the insert come out??
The expanding bolt end of the new guard will not go into the hole with the insert in place.
What to do?
Thank you for any advice that can be offered.

Wa2fst

Country flag
Ive screwed mine in a tad and pulled on it. Also put the bolt in a tad put pliers around the head and tapped. Not un common for those to get stuck in there

big_sur

I kind of made up how mine worked since I got like 10 different mounting options in the bag. I'll probably get real clip-ons soon, but for the time being, I just used the hole in the insert to mount the guard.

I know this is a bump of a year old thread but I just installed the KTM brake and clutch lever guards and i'm shocked at how poorly they install. The stock bar ends are not perfectly flat because the plastic housing projects just beyond the end of the steel bar... which means that the whole assembly of the clutch lever likes to move around when you're trying to screw it on in a nice and neat way. When I installed the clutch guard and tightened it up with a torque wrench, I noticed that my guard was probably 2-3 degrees off which was causing the end of the guard to touch the clutch lever (which the instructions warn not to do). I had to take the whole thing off (after stripping one of those cheap screws, thankfully there were spares) and reinstall it, taking pains to hold the entire assembly exactly where i wanted it to be while torquing it in.

I had a similarly bad install for the official KTM front right slider - the whole thing is made of plastic, so trying to torque it in nice and tight meant I just fucked up the plastic and the whole thing is a bit askew. Not nice and neat the way I had hoped an official product would be...

Has anyone else had bad luck with KTM sliders, guards, etc?

74d34h

I just installed the brake guard on my wife's RC390. It took about 5 minutes. My only issue is I cut the grip originally for the Evotech bar slider so the grip end is a little shorter. Otherwise, just follow the instructions install was easy. The hardware bag had instructions specific to each bike model.

IMG_2594.JPG