Cam timing

phase12gsr

I performed the 600 mile valve adjustment on my 390. Upon starting, the bike randomly cuts out - it makes a popping sound right before it cuts out. I didn't mark my cams before I took them out and now I'm wondering if they aren't aligned correctly? I used the alignment marks on the cams, but the exhaust cam isn't 100% even with the intake. I've also read that it's not uncommon if the cams don't cams line up. Is there anyway to ensure your cams are aligned for TDC?

FYI - the bike cuts out while in neutral while I'm revving - so I don't think its side stand sensor related

Last edited:

isaac_

I performed the 600 mile valve adjustment on my 390. Upon starting, the bike randomly cuts out - it makes a popping sound right before it cuts out. I didn't mark my cams before I took them out and now I'm wondering if they aren't aligned correctly? I used the alignment marks on the cams, but the exhaust cam isn't 100% even with the intake. I've also read that it's not uncommon if the cams don't cams line up. Is there anyway to ensure your cams are aligned for TDC?

FYI - the bike cuts out while in neutral while I'm revving - so I don't think its side stand sensor related

In neutral while revving? What RPMS? Mine will do something similar but only in neutral while idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phase12gsr

In neutral while revving? What RPMS? Mine will do something similar but only in neutral while idling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't whether it's RPM related or not. I just rev up and down to make sure everything is running fine and eventually it cuts out. Haven't tried it in gear to determine if it's in neutral only.

Michelle

I have not done a valve adjustment on mine even though I have done it on my other bikes , I am nervous too as I have spent so much money on it if I am honest ,, I would rather pay at the moment than have the aggro..
I can tell you though mine do not line up when I do a valve check and I do no others do not as well.... When turning the crank to TDC only my intake is lined up on mine...

I have also read a few times you do not need to take the cams out ,, zip tie the chain to the gears next time so when you take the cam shaft bridge out just move one gear at a time out the way and there is just enough room to change the shims out...
I have read this a few times so when I pluck up the courage to do mine I will be doing it this way ,, sorry I can not be more help..

Ryanthegreat1

I did the zip tie and move one cam out of the way at a time method. Was quick and easy and nearly no risk of messing of the timing.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Michelle, So you have gone as far into it to be able to check the valves yourself but not re shim them, you were 90% of the way there! if you have re shimed your ZZR the RC would be easy with the cam follower / shim on top setup...

Cool, you have shims on the way!

Last edited:

Michelle

The ZXR only cost me a £1000 :rolleyes: where as the RC cost me £3000 ,, doing that sort of work always gives me butterfly's no matter what bike I do ,, I no I can do it but like I say I would rather pay than have the aggro..
If they screw it up then they pay for it :))))