case covers don't fit 2016

ratlab

gb and trex on the alternator side are about a 1/2 " shy on the very back(distal).both right side covers fit.did they change left side cover for 2016.no amount of grinding internally would allow case covers to fit on both t-rex and gbracing.anybody else have this problem on a 2016?

cornerslider

You are not alone! I'm in the same boat.... I confirmed with Chad Wells (Commonwealth KTM). The left side case has a different part number for 2016. Very frustrating, T-Rex won't ever return my calls. Let me know if you get anywhere with this-

reenmachine

Country flag
You are not alone! I'm in the same boat.... I confirmed with Chad Wells (Commonwealth KTM). The left side case has a different part number for 2016. Very frustrating, T-Rex won't ever return my calls. Let me know if you get anywhere with this-

Did you try email? I get pretty quick email responses from them, typically within a day or so.

sales@t-rex-racing.com

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Makes one wonder what they changed and why. That is a huge amount of effort to change the casting for no reason.

It's certainly not going to be got "no reason" and likely because of the failures from crashes on the left side. Trying to get my hands on a left cover now to check Tyga case guard fit, and send to Tyga in Thailand if we need another mold made.

jjtard

It's certainly not going to be got "no reason" and likely because of the failures from crashes on the left side. Trying to get my hands on a left cover now to check Tyga case guard fit, and send to Tyga in Thailand if we need another mold made.

Matt, it's Jayme from Jonestown TX.....I can get my 2016 RC to you this wknd so you can look at that case....hope that's not too late!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Did they change the case just to make it stronger or is something different under there?

Matt, it's Jayme from Jonestown TX.....I can get my 2016 RC to you this wknd so you can look at that case....hope that's not too late!!!

Jayme,
Yeah, let's get your bike out here to the shop this weekend and get to the bottom of this. For one, I want to see if (or how) the Tyga case cover fits on the left side... but 2 yeah, I really want to see what the differences are between the 2015 and 2016 for that, and possibly a few other spots. Another customer from up in Canada told me they were fitting a GPR Power Cone exhaust on their 2016, and it didn't fit. Said they had to "bend the pipe" to get it on. Makes me wonder if they modified the primary header as part of the change to the new side mount exhaust.

I'll send you a text and we can coordinate what time this weekend. Thanks! I'm sure everyone on the forum appreciates your efforts there to help determine fitment questions between the 15/16 models.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
This all got me to thinking... I can probably check a few things for possible fit problems by looking up the part numbers and seeing if I can get a photo of the part itself, at least in line drawing form...

For the left side case cover, part numbers do NOT differ:
2015 - 90230002133 - IGNITION COVER WITH PLUG
2016 - 90230002133 - IGNITION COVER WITH PLUG

and the Gasket for the left case cover, same story, no change:
2015 - 90230040000 - GASKET IGNITION COVER
2016 - 90230040000 - GASKET IGNITION COVER

On the right side / clutch cover, part numbers are:
2015 - 90230001144 - CLUTCH COVER WITH PLUG
2016 - 90230001144 - CLUTCH COVER WITH PLUG

...and the gasket again, just for sanity sake:
2015 - 90230027000 - GASKET CLUTCH COVER
2016 - 90230027000 - GASKET CLUTCH COVER

So, everything's the same... peachy!

So what about the GPR exhaust, and that primary header part number:
2015 - 90205007000 - MUFFLER CPL.
2016 - 90205007000 - MUFFLER CPL.

So I started to wonder... what about the RC 390 CUP bike, not the STREET bike??? Well, looking at the KTM parts website, the 2016 CUP bike isn't listed... which means all I can use is the 2015 CUP bike
2015 - 90230002133 - IGNITION COVER WITH PLUG
which, as fully expected, the part number between the street and cup bikes is the same... but without the cup bike being listed, I've got no way to verify part numbers.

Chad said the numbers differ, but I can't find what the 2016 cover part number is... The 2016 DUKE part number is the same as well tho... so I'm just not sure where Chad got the different part number from. I'm guessing he's got access to info the rest of us (non-Dealers) don't... but why that info wouldn't be on the Official KTM Sparepartsfinder website, I dunno... other than the standard "Trust KTM to screw up everything just a little, and some things a LOT."

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
cover.jpg
From my dealer site,like we spoke about per the emails.The 'official ktm sparepartfinder' is out of date. I just went to that site, it is the old fiche system, the dealers stuff has been updated, we don't use that platform anymore.

'15 RC and cup (plus others)
Stator cover 9023002133
gasket 90230040000

'16 RC and cup (plus others)
Stator cover 9373002000
gasket 9373004000

ALSO the crankcases for '16 have a new p/n and are different from '15 to accommodate the new stator cover.

Clutch cover and gasket remained unchanged for '16 though, so you got lucky there. Man I'm way too nice to you :p. Quit being a keyboard jockey and giving folks wrong info.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Stator part number has changed also but not the rotor, so probably beefed up the alternator...

90839004100 16 stator
90839004000 15 stator

Rotors / flywheel

ratlab

Jayme,
Yeah, let's get your bike out here to the shop this weekend and get to the bottom of this. For one, I want to see if (or how) the Tyga case cover fits on the left side... but 2 yeah, I really want to see what the differences are between the 2015 and 2016 for that, and possibly a few other spots. Another customer from up in Canada told me they were fitting a GPR Power Cone exhaust on their 2016, and it didn't fit. Said they had to "bend the pipe" to get it on. Makes me wonder if they modified the primary header as part of the change to the new side mount exhaust.

I'll send you a text and we can coordinate what time this weekend. Thanks! I'm sure everyone on the forum appreciates your efforts there to help determine fitment questions between the 15/16 models.

when i installed the t-rex frame sliders the front m8x30 bolt on the bracket would have punched a hole in the header if i wasn't being careful.wasn't room for any part of the bolt to come thru the back of the bracket.looks like the header has been moved also.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
View attachment 2578
From my dealer site,like we spoke about per the emails.The 'official ktm sparepartfinder' is out of date. I just went to that site, it is the old fiche system, the dealers stuff has been updated, we don't use that platform anymore.
{snip}
Quit being a keyboard jockey and giving folks wrong info.

Blah blah blah blah blah... Hey, not ALL of us have access to them thar "Dealer Mode"... ya' back woods line bred tobacco spittin' hillbilly! :)

chad.jpg

Thanks for the updated part numbers Chad. That does indeed help. Do you know of any way that us mere mortals can gain access to the updated real official parts fiche?

cornerslider

T-Rex has been pretty decent to deal with on this. They are working on getting the left side sorted out. They don't know when that will be, but they are aware of it/working on a solution -